VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #1  
Old 07-29-2021, 06:19 PM
cposer cposer is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: BUCKLEY
Posts: 6
Default James horizontal air filter kit

Anybody installed the Sam James airfilter kit on a forwrad facing fuel injector servo? Just got my kit and could use some advice and photos.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-30-2021, 09:02 AM
motodave motodave is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 96
Default

I'm in the same boat... just got the cowl lined up and finished trimming last night. I pulled the instructions from the web site and plan on using those to start with once I get the hinges riveted on. My engine is I(O)360-M1B.

Horizontal hinge line by Dave Hock, on Flickr
__________________
Dave
RV7 Slider N732DH
I(O)360-M1B Thunderbolt
Empennage 100% Complete
Slow build Fuselage 95% done, FWF done
Wiring 40% done
Was QB wings now will be slow build...
Littleton, CO
Photo log: https://flic.kr/ps/9jjZz
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-30-2021, 01:08 PM
g zero g zero is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: palm coast fl.
Posts: 997
Default Air filter

I made a alternative air door thatís manually operated . Also used some micro /epoxy to shim the assembly against the Servo to line up with the cowl. Made a silicone Hump Hose to connect the filter housing to the cowl .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2C3827D7-6BF1-45F4-88B5-9AE723E9E629.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	14152  
__________________
Rv8
N 666 TA
First Flight 2-3-2015 🚀
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2021, 08:33 AM
Davea320's Avatar
Davea320 Davea320 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Osage, IA
Posts: 177
Default Sam James FAB

I installed the SJ FAB on my engine a few weeks ago. You can see it on my EAA builders log. There are several entries under “engine” since I had to make some modifications to get the proper alignment and fit with the cowling inlet.
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...tcat=^firewall
Dave
__________________
RV7 QB started 1/17
Working on Baffles and plenum
2021 dues sent
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7VoBh6e5R

Last edited by Davea320 : 08-23-2021 at 08:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-23-2021, 07:39 PM
agent4573 agent4573 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mountain view
Posts: 393
Default

Your options are the FM200 adapter ring from airflow performance (not sure it's a direct size bolt up, but should be close) or I bought a Amazon 3 inch MAF adapter plate and a 3" to 2.5" silicone reduction hose. It makes it a bit long, but it appears to fit.
__________________
www.rv7build.com
N69ER - reserved
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-23-2021, 10:25 PM
climberrn's Avatar
climberrn climberrn is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodave View Post
I'm in the same boat... just got the cowl lined up and finished trimming last night. I pulled the instructions from the web site and plan on using those to start with once I get the hinges riveted on. My engine is I(O)360-M1B.

Horizontal hinge line by Dave Hock, on Flickr
Hard to tell by the pictures how far the snorkel sticks out past the cowl face, if any, but with fat blade CS props there could be a clearance issue. Verify with prop manufacturer. Donít ask me how I know.
__________________
Joel

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-24-2021, 08:25 AM
airguy's Avatar
airguy airguy is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Garden City, Tx
Posts: 5,590
Default

Here's a shot of my IO360 with Superior cold air forward induction, Vetterman crossover exhaust, Bendix injection, and the Sam James filter setup. This fit very nicely inside the Jame cowl. I had double firesleeve on the fuel line for insulation, trying to keep the temps down. This worked well for 4 years until I upgraded to the SDS system. I had to modify the filter housing slightly to accommodate the alternator bracket, thus you can see a few fiberglass resin drips down the left of the filter housing in this shot. The second image is looking at the discharge side of the filter, I cut down the rubber flange of the K&N conical filter and RTV'd it to the inside of the housing. It has never shown any indication of wanting to come loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2064.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	15036  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1724.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	15037  
__________________
Greg Niehues - SEL, IFR, Repairman Cert.
Garden City, TX VAF 2021 dues paid
N16GN flying 900 hrs and counting; IO360, SDS, WWRV200, Dynon HDX, IFD440, G5
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.

Last edited by airguy : 08-24-2021 at 08:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2021, 05:45 PM
agent4573 agent4573 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mountain view
Posts: 393
Default

Mona at James aircraft just sent me this pic too. Looks like they have a solution. It's a 2 and 7/8" flange so you'll still need a slight reducer coupling, but should be a mostly plug and play solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bp-1back-plate.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	15069  
__________________
www.rv7build.com
N69ER - reserved
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-25-2021, 08:50 PM
Davea320's Avatar
Davea320 Davea320 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Osage, IA
Posts: 177
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
Here's a shot of my IO360 with Superior cold air forward induction, Vetterman crossover exhaust, Bendix injection, and the Sam James filter setup. This fit very nicely inside the Jame cowl. I had double firesleeve on the fuel line for insulation, trying to keep the temps down. This worked well for 4 years until I upgraded to the SDS system. I had to modify the filter housing slightly to accommodate the alternator bracket, thus you can see a few fiberglass resin drips down the left of the filter housing in this shot. The second image is looking at the discharge side of the filter, I cut down the rubber flange of the K&N conical filter and RTV'd it to the inside of the housing. It has never shown any indication of wanting to come loose.
I believe this is the old style FAB from SJ. Mine looks similar to the picture in the post above. Three parts: filter housing, backplate and transit duct. Let me know if you want more pics. I have a bunch I can email to you on my setup and modifications.
Dave
__________________
RV7 QB started 1/17
Working on Baffles and plenum
2021 dues sent
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7VoBh6e5R

Last edited by Davea320 : 08-25-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-26-2021, 07:44 AM
airguy's Avatar
airguy airguy is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Garden City, Tx
Posts: 5,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davea320 View Post
I believe this is the old style FAB from SJ. Mine looks similar to the picture in the post above. Three parts: filter housing, backplate and transit duct. Let me know if you want more pics. I have a bunch I can email to you on my setup and modifications.
Dave
Quite possibly - my cowl dates to August of 2014 shipment - unknown when it was actually produced.
__________________
Greg Niehues - SEL, IFR, Repairman Cert.
Garden City, TX VAF 2021 dues paid
N16GN flying 900 hrs and counting; IO360, SDS, WWRV200, Dynon HDX, IFD440, G5
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:17 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.