What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyView firmware 16.2.4

Pdtofly

Well Known Member
Patron
Dynon released their new SkyView firmware 16.2.4 a few days ago.

One good feature is if you have Seattle Avionics FlyQ Pro, you can now transfer your charts on your iPad via WiFi directly to the Dynon SkyView memory stick.

Brian

Needs and wants

I have a lifetime FlyQ subscription (VFR and IFR) so don't view this post as negative for Seattle Avionics. I also have an AFS 5600 EFIS. So here's my question: Yes, the "Slingshot" feature of the new Dynon release is nice, and AFS will have it sometime in the future, BUT, if you have all that data on your Ipad, why do you need the extra cost of the Dynon or AFS data subscription? Since you are transferring it from one device to another, you know it is exactly the same. But they charge you twice.

I let my data subscription for my AFS EFIS expire. I just can't figure out why I need it. Am I missing something?

I have a lifetime FlyQ subscription (VFR and IFR) so don't view this post as negative for Seattle Avionics. I also have an AFS 5600 EFIS. So here's my question: Yes, the "Slingshot" feature of the new Dynon release is nice, and AFS will have it sometime in the future, BUT, if you have all that data on your Ipad, why do you need the extra cost of the Dynon or AFS data subscription? Since you are transferring it from one device to another, you know it is exactly the same. But they charge you twice.

I let my data subscription for my AFS EFIS expire. I just can't figure out why I need it. Am I missing something?

I can think of a couple of good reasons to keep all the databases current, but probably the biggest would be this:

"If a pilot is involved in an enforcement investigation and there is evidence that the use of an out-of-date chart, no chart, or an out-of-date database contributed to the condition that brought on the enforcement investigation, then that information could be used in any enforcement action that might be taken."

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/faq/#q8c

What Dynon data subscription are you talking about? Dynon provides it's data for free and has been free since at least 2012, or am I missing something? :confused:

What Dynon data subscription are you talking about? Dynon provides it's data for free and has been free since at least 2012, or am I missing something? :confused:

I think he's talking about the Geo-Referenced Charts & Airport Diagrams chart data subscription for Advanced Flight Systems and Dynon. Those charts, updated every 27 days, were available via subscription from Seattle Avionics for $99 last year, but I see the price has gone up to $119 :rolleyes: .

Attachments

• chart.png
    chart.png
    156 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I just did the new software update. Now my VP-X driven voltage and starter widget will not work. The voltage widget shows the voltage number but it sits on the bottom of the scale with no scale colors. I checked the VP-X set up color ranges.

Any ideas?

One step backward

Re-install the previous version, and see if those items function normally again. If they do, report the problems to Dynon and wait for a work around before installing the new version again.

I can think of a couple of good reasons to keep all the databases current, but probably the biggest would be this:

I think the question might be, "why should I pay extra to put charts on my EFIS if I already have them on my ipad?"

I just did the new software update. Now my VP-X driven voltage and starter widget will not work. The voltage widget shows the voltage number but it sits on the bottom of the scale with no scale colors. I checked the VP-X set up color ranges.

Any ideas?

Jeff,

I have exactly the same experience post-update; clearly a minor bug.

I’ve emailed Dynon to report. I’m expecting the short term fix will be a reversion to the previous firmware. They have in the past offered a tool to achieve that, so I hope to hear back from them before too long.

Glenn

I think he's talking about the Geo-Referenced Charts & Airport Diagrams chart data subscription for Advanced Flight Systems and Dynon. Those charts, updated every 27 days, were available via subscription from Seattle Avionics for $99 last year, but I see the price has gone up to $119 :rolleyes: .
If he means a Seattle Avionics subscription, not a Dynon subscription, then that makes sense.
I think the question might be, "why should I pay extra to put charts on my EFIS if I already have them on my ipad?"
I have my plates/charts on my Android tablet with my Android phone as the backup. With FltPlanGo they are free and and with the SkyView WIFI, it gives me a 3rd display at a very low price. No paying an additional fee for charts/plates, etc..

;)

If he means a Seattle Avionics subscription, not a Dynon subscription, then that makes sense.

I have my plates/charts on my Android tablet with my Android phone as the backup. With FltPlanGo they are free and and with the SkyView WIFI, it gives me a 3rd display at a very low price. No paying an additional fee for charts/plates, etc..

;)

I don't think there is such thing as a Dynon or AFS subscription any more, other than legacy stuff.

Right now I have a map database from SA for my AFS 5400, which costs $119/year. I also pay FF $200/year, and now maps on my Avidyne IFD costs $449/year to Jeppesen. The AFS 3500 is the only one with Dynon/AFS free mapping, but I only use it as my moving map, and to display obstacles, terrain, and ADSB wx/traffic. The only map I have up in the cockpit is a sectional on Foreflight. I could also do IFR low if I wanted. I can upload any flight plan on FF to the Avidyne or the AFS 5400, or both, then just fly the magenta line and CDI that the Avidyne sends to the EFIS and the moving map. I'm gonna pass on the Jeppeson subscription when my 60 day free trial is up, and also let my Seattle Avionics subscription lapse too. As long as I can send my flight plans over wifi from Foreflight, I should be good to go for navigation. Since I upgraded to the AFS 5400, I can't recall a time when I brought up an actual chart.

Unless I'm missing something. Do I have all this right?

Last edited:
I don't think there is such thing as a Dynon or AFS subscription any more, other than legacy stuff.

Right now I have a map database from SA for my AFS 5400, which costs $119/year. I also pay FF $200/year, and now maps on my Avidyne IFD costs $449/year to Jeppesen. The AFS 3500 is the only one with Dynon/AFS free mapping, but I only use it as my moving map, and to display obstacles, terrain, and ADSB wx/traffic. The only map I have up in the cockpit is a sectional on Foreflight. I could also do IFR low if I wanted. I can upload any flight plan on FF to the Avidyne or the AFS 5400, or both, then just fly the magenta line and CDI on the Avidyne. I'm gonna pass on the Jeppeson subscription when my 60 day free trial is up, and also let my Seattle Avionics subscription lapse. As long as I can send my flight plans over wifi from Foreflight, I should be good to go.

Unless I'm missing something. Do I have all this right?

You cannot legally fly RNAV approaches if the approach has been updated after your current charts on the IFD expire.

You cannot legally fly RNAV approaches if the approach has been updated after your current charts on the IFD expire.
Kinda, sorta correct. You can legally fly with an expired database if:

1 - The equipment Mfg does not prohibit it.
2 - You verify the actual approach you will use is current. Of the thousands of approaches in the database only a few change during an update.

Most older units do not have a Mfg prohibition on using an expired database. Many "modern" units do, so you have to check your particular equipment paperwork to verify. My particular G430W did not have this prohibition when it was installed. But I keep my database updated since, to me, it is cheap life insurance. YMMV

:cool:

Last edited:

Yeah. Let me ask though...if the Foreflight approach plates are current, and before departure the pilot generates the approach in Foreflight and then sends that flight plan and RNAV approach from Foreflight to the GPS navigator (IFD440) over wifi....legal to fly RNAV? You'd still be flying the approach generated from a current approach plate using a certified navigator?

At the very least, Foreflight could tell you whether or not the approach in the IFD is current?

Yeah. Let me ask though...if the Foreflight approach plates are current, and before departure the pilot generates the approach in Foreflight and then sends that flight plan and RNAV approach from Foreflight to the GPS navigator (IFD440) over wifi....legal to fly RNAV? You'd still be flying the approach generated from a current approach plate using a certified navigator?

At the very least, Foreflight could tell you whether or not the approach in the IFD is current?
Great question. Does the Avidine installation manual require it have an up to date database? :confused:

I think that you will find that while ForeFlight sends the approach to be flown, it is actually loaded via the navigators database. In other words, ForeFlight sends the GPS runway 30 approach, and the navigator loads the approach, and relevant waypoints, and altitudes. Thus, coming right back to the requirement for the navigator to have a current database.

back to dynon/afs

I have a slightly different "License" issue that I'm wondering how it till play out. I use the SA FlyQ app and pay annually for a VFR subscription with it. Since I have AFS 5600's I also have a lifetime VFR/IFR subscription that I do the USB stick shuffle with once a month or so. Will my VFR app subscription be able to update my AFS units with both the VFR/IFR data or will it be stuck w/VFR only since that is all I am licensed for on the app? Somewhat moot until AFS updates their software for slingshot :)

Glenn

Did you every get you voltage display working? I am still having issues.

Jeff

I did, Jeff.

Dynon confirmed it was a bug that crept into the new firmware. I chose, with their help, to revert to the previous version, though that turned out to come with a few "gotchas." PM me if you want the whole story.

If I had my time again, I'd just live with the minor irritation until the promised fix is released.

I hope they get out the new fixes relatively soon. Was told by Dynon middle of February...

This last update was quite buggy it seems. Autopilot issues and tach time errors for me.

Back