What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tru Trak Hunt

ExtraKatana

Well Known Member
So I have been extremely lucky with my Tru Trak. Last weekend I noticed a hunt on the elev. servo when engaging the Alt. Hold that was hunting in sort of a cadence. The it would just let go. It wasn't out of trim. Never done it before. It's coupled to a GRT Horizon for altitude. Any ideas?

Removed

accessed the elevator servo and the sheer bolt is not sheered.
Accessed the inner workings and nothing seems overly worn. Magnet segments are still there. An observation I made is that the servo magnets although completely cover the inside(label says 200 segments). The gears move very very little from neutral its entire life. Cleaned everything with alcohol and a toothbrush and re-assembled the servo. Contemplating next steps.

Last edited:
accessed the elevator servo and the sheer bolt is not sheered.
Accessed the inner workings and nothing seems overly worn. Magnet segments are still there. An observation I made is that the servo magnets although completely cover the inside(label says 200 segments). The gears move very very little from neutral its entire life. Cleaned everything with alcohol and a toothbrush and re-assembled the servo. Contemplating next steps.

How old is the servo? How many hours are on it? Shoot me an email at andrew.barker(at)honeywell.com.

thanks!

shear screw on servo

I thought trutrak servos don't have a shear screw/pin. From what I've heard in the past the pilot can overcome the trutrak servos without shearing the pin where if you overcome the Dynon servo the pin shears. Am I correct??
Thanks.

PS Hi Andrew. Hope you are doing well. Glad to see your post. I was missing some parts from the builder for a roll servo bracket kit and Bruce from Mid Continental shipped me a roll servo bracket kit at no charge

So servo is re-installed after a good interior cleaning. There was a fair amount of grey non-metallic substance on the magnets. Smooth action on the bench again. So installed and powered up. Both axis’s seem to not hold with the force I was expecting. However, it has been a while since I tested so I don’t have a good reference point. Accessed the program and torque was already maxed on 12. Question....does the torque increase proportionally with voltage? Test was done with plane in the hangar.

Back