What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel suggestions

ShawnR

Well Known Member
Friend
Hi all

So, over the weekend, several RV4's have appeared in my inbox. Ranging from the fixer upper (priced accordingly and built well but need to look harder at the build) to a very nice glass panel plane (priced a little over my budget but it is pretty) and then a couple more higher in features/quality or just price as well.

One I have been watching for a while and the seller just got into what I consider a more reasonable price (as I am learning about the market and the RV4).

This is the panel, I should say, the interior as I am up for a makeover. I want to go to glass of some sort but not sure I am confident enough in it to not have some redundancy so wondering about using some of the existing gauges. The rest of this plane looks quite nice but I am not a fan of the interior so I think an entire makeover might be in the works. Not overly costly, just time wise. And it has rear rudder pedals so would be a good transitioning plane for me. My CPL instructor was a aerobatics instructor and a little guy so we could have fun in this one (or any of the ones but not all have rear pedals.) I am not large either so the little 4 should be good for us.

Looking at this, what would you suggest? I know there are Garmin guys, Dynon guys, MGL guys, etc so interesting to see what you might suggest, especially in regards to reusing some of the old stuff. So, have fun suggesting how I spend my money, but don't break me! Kidding. But if you have fun with the "here is what I would do game", then please, throw ideas around.

I have contacted Vans for a set of preview plans to better inspect whatever 4 I end up with. That will give me a better idea of the plane construction all around.

Attachments

• Panel suggestions.jpg
    Panel suggestions.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 219
Panel

I was wondering if I could set it up for VFR(day/night) now with the ability to upgrade it to IFR in the future.

Panel

Exactly what I did. Reused some of what I had that was working perfectly then bought other items used. VERY functional panel that has ADS-B in and out, TIS-B weather, full autopilot, EMS and back up round dials.

Attachments

• 7197BBB0-6D42-4E90-B8F2-E72DF65F296E.jpg
    7197BBB0-6D42-4E90-B8F2-E72DF65F296E.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 5D3434DC-E49C-4A07-8C9C-8C911DE8CA7D.jpg
    5D3434DC-E49C-4A07-8C9C-8C911DE8CA7D.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 255
I was wondering if I could set it up for VFR(day/night) now with the ability to upgrade it to IFR in the future.

Sure - classic approach.

I suggest you start off with the final IFR panel you want. From that use a subset for the first VFR panel. Updating a panel once you shift to glass is mostly just getting a new panel blank from Van’s, some time cutting holes then paint.

I suggest for the first install:
- An EFIS with integrated GPS receiver that meets ADS-B out requirements. For the RV-4 this should be a smaller display.
- XPDR (that includes ADS-B out). XPDRs that mount remotely frees up your limited panel space.
- ADS-B receiver that integrates with the EFIS moving map - here again remote mount.
- A comm unit that plays well with your EFIS system.
- A dual axis autopilot install that is for your selected EFIS.
- The EMS system that is for your selected EFIS.
- Keep the analog airspeed instrument.

Upgrading to full IFR panel:
- Add a TSO certified GPS navigator that includes a Comm. This gives you two radios.
- Add a second EFIS display.

Audio panel need depends on if your selected comm radio has one built in.

Carl

I’m just finishing the install of an IFR package in the rocket.
I second Carl’s “integrates” and “plays well” wisdom: I recommend sticking with a complete system from one manufacturer.
FWIW, I chose Garmin from Steinair.
-one big PFD
-G5
-GPS Navigator/transponder
-autopilot controller
-2 remote radios
-remote audio panel
-Integrated backup battery

Sure - classic approach.

I suggest you start off with the final IFR panel you want. From that use a subset for the first VFR panel. Updating a panel once you shift to glass is mostly just getting a new panel blank from Van’s, some time cutting holes then paint.

I suggest for the first install:
- An EFIS with integrated GPS receiver that meets ADS-B out requirements. For the RV-4 this should be a smaller display.
- XPDR (that includes ADS-B out). XPDRs that mount remotely frees up your limited panel space.
- ADS-B receiver that integrates with the EFIS moving map - here again remote mount.
- A comm unit that plays well with your EFIS system.
- A dual axis autopilot install that is for your selected EFIS.
- The EMS system that is for your selected EFIS.
- Keep the analog airspeed instrument.

Upgrading to full IFR panel:
- Add a TSO certified GPS navigator that includes a Comm. This gives you two radios.
- Add a second EFIS display.

Audio panel need depends on if your selected comm radio has one built in.

Carl

VERY NICE description of how to approach the problem.

As a matter of space and preference, the EFIS units available can have a "remote" audio panel and comms if space becomes a problem. And I think they all have a "failsafe" mode where the radio works (on the last frequency) if the audio panel fails. Personally, I like having at least one radio that I can touch and dial. :)

VERY NICE description of how to approach the problem.

As a matter of space and preference, the EFIS units available can have a "remote" audio panel and comms if space becomes a problem. And I think they all have a "failsafe" mode where the radio works (on the last frequency) if the audio panel fails. Personally, I like having at least one radio that I can touch and dial. :)

Yep - fully agree.

On the last three IFR panels I used the GTN-650 as the TSO GPS navigator, and VOR/LOC/GS receiver. On the new build I’ll use the GNC-355 as the GPS navigator, and the TRIG TX-56 as the NAV/LOC/GS receiver and Comm #2. This is a significantly cheaper approach for the same capability as the GTN-650 plus the Dynon SkyView radio for Comm #2, and I’m hopeful the GNC-355 is not as clunky to use as the GTN-650.

TRIG makes the Dynon remote radio and Dynon remote XPDR for the SkyView EFIS system. I have been impressed with the quality and I expect nothing less than that for this new TX-56 NAV/Comm.

But - this leaves open the option to not have VOR/LOC/GS capability at all. I suspect for most builders this is perfectly viable. Here, as always, builder preference to support the ship mission is the deciding factor.

Carl

I went from this (first pic), to this (second pic), on my RV4 without too much trouble:

39104B7A-4B4F-457A-995F-CEBB46B47D65.jpg

02DFD9E6-9A68-4E4F-AB94-E5CB8A95227C.jpg

Being able to remove the boot cowl, giving stand on the floor access to the behind panel area, makes it easy. I used my original panel as a template to cut my new panel, and also used the angle, with installed platenuts, drilled out of the original panel to attach the new panel to the boot cowl skin since it was already made to fit. The right screen in the upgraded panel is a GRT mini, which is a small stand alone EFIS with its own AHRS and compass, communicates with the primary EFIS, and is powered by a separate Aux bus. It is a VFR panel, but as you can see, there is plenty of room on the left side of the panel to install an IFR navigator - all you need to make it IFR capable.

Your RV4 panel is probably the most easily customizable panel of all the RV’s. Use your imagination and make it what you want.

EDIT - Picture orientation is weird. I know how to prevent that now when I take a picture, but don’t know how to fix the already taken pictures. Turn your screen around if you want to see it straight.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! I think this thread will be the catalyst for me to look harder at those units as a starter. As probably everyone here has gone through this low end of the learning curve, it is great to have a few to look at, learn the lingo, and then move forward.

I knew this question had been asked a lot in the past so felt guilty posting it. But that personal input goes a long way, I think, and adds value to the other similar threads.

As each plane I look at has some level of modern avionics, I now think I need to get a feel for what or if anything will "play nice" with what I can buy today.

Cheers
Shawn

A little cheaper "update" in my -4

I went a little cheaper route to my basic steam gauge set-up because my mission is strictly VFR and limited cross country. if my wallet thickens, I may do a full upgrade, but for now, I installed the Garmin G5 "experimental" (removed and old GPS I had there) for a very reasonable price which I use as a primary display, and kept my steam gauges as back-up. I have a Garmin GTX327 X-ponder and GDL-82 ADSB "out only". For X-country, I have a Nexus7 tablet with AVARE free APP GPS on a kneeboard. I have a FL-760 radio in the small instrument cutout below the G5 which has a great built-in intercom. Not a bunch of $$ in my panel, but most of the needs for my mission have been satisfied.

Attachments

• Cockpit.jpg
    Cockpit.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 97
  • G5.jpg
    G5.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 70
I went a little cheaper route to my basic steam gauge set-up because my mission is strictly VFR and limited cross country. if my wallet thickens, I may do a full upgrade, but for now, I installed the Garmin G5 "experimental" (removed and old GPS I had there) for a very reasonable price ...

Fixed.

4 1.jpg 4 2.jpg

Last edited:
Glass panel

Speak with Northwest Avionics at 206-799-6529 they have Dynon at discount prices (as far as I can remember, I did mine with them 3 years ago) and will chat all day if you like. They will also help talk you through the installation when ready. My neighbor had never wired anything but automotive items and he and his wife did their Dynon panel.
Mike

Hi all

So, over the weekend, several RV4's have appeared in my inbox. Ranging from the fixer upper (priced accordingly and built well but need to look harder at the build) to a very nice glass panel plane (priced a little over my budget but it is pretty) and then a couple more higher in features/quality or just price as well.

One I have been watching for a while and the seller just got into what I consider a more reasonable price (as I am learning about the market and the RV4).

This is the panel, I should say, the interior as I am up for a makeover. I want to go to glass of some sort but not sure I am confident enough in it to not have some redundancy so wondering about using some of the existing gauges. The rest of this plane looks quite nice but I am not a fan of the interior so I think an entire makeover might be in the works. Not overly costly, just time wise. And it has rear rudder pedals so would be a good transitioning plane for me. My CPL instructor was a aerobatics instructor and a little guy so we could have fun in this one (or any of the ones but not all have rear pedals.) I am not large either so the little 4 should be good for us.

Looking at this, what would you suggest? I know there are Garmin guys, Dynon guys, MGL guys, etc so interesting to see what you might suggest, especially in regards to reusing some of the old stuff. So, have fun suggesting how I spend my money, but don't break me! Kidding. But if you have fun with the "here is what I would do game", then please, throw ideas around.

I have contacted Vans for a set of preview plans to better inspect whatever 4 I end up with. That will give me a better idea of the plane construction all around.

Back