What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak Vizion 385 display lighting repair

von_flyer

Well Known Member
Advertiser
My backlight is intermittent on my Vizion 385 autopilot. I have an email into Mid Continent Instruments about repair. It is 4 years old so no warranty that I know of.

Have others experienced this and how did you get it repaired or has anyone repaired it themselves?

This appears to be a sad situation with what are great products bought up by King.

6-year old Vizion, no issues

with the display. I have mine hooked to a G650 and AFS5600T, so I never really look at the display much, except to confirm trim.

Ron

My backlight is intermittent on my Vizion 385 autopilot.

Mine developed what sounds like a similar fault just this last week.

The unit seems to work fine, and if the light is falling on the display from the right angle, you can see that it "works." Tapping on the screen wakes the backlight up for a few minutes until usual cockpit vibration makes it stop again.

Given shipping delays between Australia and the US mean that RMA will probably take in the order of 2 months, I'm keen to find a quicker and cheaper way of repairing it which doesn't involve sending it back to base.

PM'ed Andrew from TruTrak last week, no reply yet :(

- mark

The local Trutrak distributor has been in touch with BendixKing:

"Small repairs need to be sent to the US and assessed (1 week turnaround). We can get the Vizion 385 unit overhauled or exchanged for US$850 + tax + return international freight."

Which seems expensive for a light bulb.

Ask me how enthused I am about this after the red mist has subsided.

(further discussions about better options are underway)

- mark

(and: a week after I sent the PM, no reply. I know this isn't an official support vector, but it's hard to avoid assessing that responsiveness has evaporated since the BK buy-out. Sad to see an excellent product which I recommended to a lot of buyers decline like this)

Last edited:
My apologies for not seeing your PM! I was travelling and just missed it.

Anyway, I replied just now.

Long story short, Avionics 2000 in Australia is the BendixKing repair partner that can replace the display for you. They *should* have one in stock, but if they don't, let me know and I will help expedite it for you.

You can always email me at andrew.barker(at)honeywell.com

repair partner information on our website at https://www.bendixking.com/en/support/repair-partners

thanks and sorry for the delay!

My backlight is intermittent on my Vizion 385 autopilot. I have an email into Mid Continent Instruments about repair. It is 4 years old so no warranty that I know of.

Have others experienced this and how did you get it repaired or has anyone repaired it themselves?

This appears to be a sad situation with what are great products bought up by King.

Mid Continent is able (and regularly performing) display swap outs on the the Vizion product line. They should have no issue getting this resolved for you, they keep displays in stock.

thanks!

Andrew

Andrew - what's failing in the displays? Is there anything we owners can do to improve their longevity?

Some of the displays have seen delamination of the connection from the glass to the display board. This is part of the assembly that we purchase as a complete unit. The manufacturer is looking into the issue to determine the failure rate and cause.

Thanks for sharing this info, Andrew. My Vizion 385 sometimes displays vertical lines, either ON or OFF. The vast majority of the time the display is perfect, hence my belief that time/temperature/humidity are likely working against the reliability of contact between the glass and driver board.

Back