What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Got A/C???

LovelyLibertyRV8a

Hey guys and gals, I was wondering if anybody has ever heard of putting air conditioning in a rv8a? I think my wife would enjoy flying alot more if we put it in ours. Granted I am YEARS away from flying, so if there is not a kit yet maybe there will be in the future. All you experts out there, what would be involved to make a system for my airplane? Sincerely J.D.

The RVs have the best A/C there is.... a 2,000 fpm climb rate. :)

True......

Last weeks temps for comparisons. 77F. at 7500'. 56F at 9500' which felt like good A/C. Coming down to 5500' for Class B, it suddenly went to 95F, and felt like a furnace coming through the sides vents. Somewhat uncomfortable at that point. Our airport is 4200' & today, it's 101F outside.

I'd like A/C, but considering the weight, space, and cost...........I'll just have to fly higher and suffer for a while during the takeoff and landing phase.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Yeah, Tanya and I substitute O2 for A/C. Our O2 is an absolute necessity because we don't have A/C. Works well. We were happy to be sucking O2 at 15.5k' a couple weeks ago because of heat below. Although, if I were to build a -10, you can bet that it would have A/C after doing my transition training in Alex's.

There is another company that makes an ice chest/cooler with a fan powered by 12 volt ship power and a length of SCAT duct to send the air into the cabin. Place it in the baggage area or back seat. You put a block of ice in there, and the fan circulates cabin air over the ice. It works remarkably well according to the gent I saw loading it into his Bonanza on a 105 degree day.

It cools the cabin long enough to take off and climb to altitude. Might even still be some ice in there for the descent.

They charge like $700 for the thing, but you could build your own for $100.

Wow you guys!!!

Some great info for sure. 33lbs seems to be a bit heavy for a luxury item though. Do I eat the weight, or listen to a 33lb of complaining??? Suck it up Buttercup!!! You guys ROCK! Thanks J.D.

Some great info for sure. 33lbs seems to be a bit heavy for a luxury item though. Do I eat the weight, or listen to a 33lb of complaining??? Suck it up Buttercup!!! You guys ROCK! Thanks J.D.

Okay... put a Catto carbon fiber two blade race prop, light weight starter and alternator and this a/c system... you're still 15 lbs lighter than a C/S prop with same equipment. I'm working on a system for my plane, I'm extremely light weight, a/c would be nice on the ground and for beach/low flight. :)

Cockpit cooling

Just reviving an old thread out of curiosity. Living out in Australia now and originally from Scotland the weather gets proper hot here and under the RV8 canopy I imagine it will be a tad warm.

Has anyone installed any form of air conditioning unit in their aircraft? Was googling around on line and found these units on line. Would something like this work without adding too much weight. Thoughts?

https://www.rigidhvac.com/store/products/159840

Just reviving an old thread out of curiosity. Living out in Australia now and originally from Scotland the weather gets proper hot here and under the RV8 canopy I imagine it will be a tad warm.

Has anyone installed any form of air conditioning unit in their aircraft? Was googling around on line and found these units on line. Would something like this work without adding too much weight. Thoughts?

https://www.rigidhvac.com/store/products/159840

The big initial question is how much current (amps) does it draw. I didn't see anything on their web page. Most small GA airplane electrical systems are not all that powerful.

:cool:

Last edited:
says 450W = 37.5A on 12V

Thirsty app, but doable if you have a good power source.

The unit draws 8 amps of power. the 450w is the cooling capacity. which is only 1535 BTU. I've looked at these units as well. It would easily fit in the forward baggage compartment, but the cooling capacity is well below what would be needed under a canopy. The units design is for small rooms that will constantly recycle the cooling air and over time step the temperature down. It still may be worth a try just to get some cold air in the face. Just keep in mind, with this unit you will need a way to provide a source of cooling air to the condenser, and also a way to exhaust that air overboard.

thanks flyboykelly, I stand corrected... and would have thought they’d use the BTU as a unit for the cooling work done.

Living out in Australia now and originally from Scotland the weather gets proper hot here and under the RV8 canopy I imagine it will be a tad warm. Has anyone installed any form of air conditioning unit in their aircraft?

Yep. It's called an "IO-390". Extra cost and weight is about the same as AC, but a lot more fun.

I was 390 before 390 was cool.

Pun intended ;)

The unit draws 8 amps of power. the 450w is the cooling capacity. which is only 1535 BTU. I've looked at these units as well. It would easily fit in the forward baggage compartment, but the cooling capacity is well below what would be needed under a canopy. The units design is for small rooms that will constantly recycle the cooling air and over time step the temperature down. It still may be worth a try just to get some cold air in the face. Just keep in mind, with this unit you will need a way to provide a source of cooling air to the condenser, and also a way to exhaust that air overboard.

I have researched these type units for my 10. If you look, you will also find 2500 watt units (designed for truck cabs) that will put out around 7-8000 BTU's and draw around 80-90 amps at 12 volts after inefficient conversion to 24 volts. They are around 45 pounds and you can find a 10 series alternator that will fit our cowls and put out 100 amps. IMO, This style if far too big to fit in an 8 though. They are 2 part units - Motor/Cond and Evap/Fan

I agree that 450 W would barely be noticeable in an 8 that has not seen serious effort to reduce external air intrusion.

Last edited:
cool shirt?

Excuse slight thread drift... anyone tried the cold water cool shirts? I think Doug posted something a while back about it working great but can't find it and then I don't think it was incorporated into his normal flying.

Don't forget that ACs in RVs still take a while to cool the cabin ... so you're still going to have a sweaty wifey unless you get in, crank it up, cool it down, shut it down, get the wifey loaded, start it up and go :p

Cool shirts

Excuse slight thread drift... anyone tried the cold water cool shirts? I think Doug posted something a while back about it working great but can't find it and then I don't think it was incorporated into his normal flying.

I use a cool shirt in my race car on very hot days. It works well, but it’s a hassle and I doubt it would be something you’d want to do routinely. You have to load up a cooler with ice, put on the shirt, hook up the hoses, then undo everything after you use it. Then you have to clean the shirt and put a chemical into the lines to prevent mold. The shirt isn’t trivial to remove when it gets wet with sweat and condensation. The tubing makes it stiff and it sticks to your skin.

I have often thought about the forced air through a cooler system for my airplane. I think it would be much more practical than a cool shirt.

-Andy

I'm itching to build again and am really considering an 8. I haven't pulled the trigger, mainly just goin through mental planning exercises. Having AC in my 10, I was brainstorming around the idea of putting AC in an 8.

Similar to what others posted a removable system that really just gives you a cool shot in the face is all I would be looking for. Something to take that edge off... not having an 8 maybe opening the canopy a bit does that.

Doesn't seem to be an RV8 option yet but hopefully in the future (by the time I finish this build in seven years time I imagine there will be lol)!

Thanks for the link RB8gibbo, looks like I'm a little bit south of you in Sydney

Don't go to prison!

A/C in an 8? The future is liquid cooling garments not something that draws engine power. I imagine by the time you've got your airplane ready to fly, the technology will have advanced even more and it will be like wearing a light wind breaker now. Plus - you'll probably go to prison when you get caught trying to buy freon off the black market in 7 years.

This study by Kansas State University may be of some value: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/microsites/lds/EEC/ICEE/textsearch/09articles/Elizabeth A. McCullough.pdf

Look forward, lean forward, fall forward

Last edited:
A/C in an 8? The future is liquid cooling garments not something that draws engine power. I imagine by the time you've got your airplane ready to fly, the technology will have advanced even more and it will be like wearing a light wind breaker now. Plus - you'll probably go to prison when you get caught trying to buy freon off the black market in 7 years.

This study by Kansas State University may be of some value: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/microsites/lds/EEC/ICEE/textsearch/09articles/Elizabeth A. McCullough.pdf

Look forward, lean forward, fall forward

Put it into the seats so we don't have to wear it then maybe.

Don't forget that ACs in RVs still take a while to cool the cabin ... so you're still going to have a sweaty wifey unless you get in, crank it up, cool it down, shut it down, get the wifey loaded, start it up and go :p

If it's an electrically powered system, set up some sort of ground power system capable of pre-cooling the cabin. Plug it in, cool the cabin down. Then unplug, start up, and go.

Back