What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crash

Mike6A

Well Known Member
A rv crashed on the RAL airport, flipped over. Goggle it and you will see the nose wheel folded back. Injuries but no deaths.

That same N number was on a Boeing 737 that crashed in Feb. 1981. They should permanently retire N numbers after a fatal crash.

On the other hand...
WorldAccordingToGarp said:
... plane crashes into house they are touring with realtor
"Well buy it! Honey... the odds of another plane crashing into this house are astronomical. She's been pre-disastered!"

I was seriously trying to buy this aircraft when I started looking for an RV last year. I even tried to arrange a pre-buy but the broker for this aircraft was so painful to work with I eventually gave up. I guess it must have partially contributed to why it stayed for sale for so long...

Nose Job

It's looks like it had an Anti Splat Aero "Nose Job" installed. I would sure like to know the dynamics of that off airport landing.

rv6a

The description indicated that an anti splat nose gear bearing had been installed but did not mention the brace.

It's looks like it had an Anti Splat Aero "Nose Job" installed. I would sure like to know the dynamics of that off airport landing.

I looked at the pictures and see no nose gear brace. Of course the pictures are a bit grainy. So maybe it got bent out of the way. Time will tell
Art

Observations

Having a vested interest in 6A incidents and trying not to speculate and looking forward to the NTSB report but, looking at a blown up photo of the crash, it sure looks like the belly is covered in oil ( maybe mud) with some splatter on the wings. Also I don’t see any evidence of the AntiSplat “Nose Job” device on the bent nose gear. The way the gear is bent might indicate that the “ Nose Job “ wouldn’t have made a difference in this off field landing. It’s so good the occupants are OK and will be able to help the FAA in its investigation. Maybe we can lean something from this unfortunate incident. I just feel so bad for the owner of this newly purchased aircraft. I’m sure his day started out a lot better than it ended.

This is a little hard to look at for me, this is very close to the same paint scheme as my plane. At first glance it could be my plane. Glad the occupants are okay. Interesting how the left wheel pant flipped over.

Back