What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intro/Seeking advice buying a used RV

b_raf

Hi all, I'm an armchair pilot who's been in the process of getting a PPL for the last 26 years. I was close to soloing again (3rd time) in a 160hp GCAA this year when the school shut down due to Covid. I have around 40 hours total, 7 of which are from this go around.
In my readings the RV series seems to be what I would be looking for in a plane; quick and aerobatic capable. I'm leaning towards the RV6/7 or 8 prebuilt as time is at a premium at the moment. Hope to find one with 180HP and a constant speed prop, IFR would be nice as I live in the PNW. I haven't flown in one but will likely contact the factory as soon as they offer demo flights again.
I'm wondering if I'm a fool for even considering purchasing a plane now/ should I just wait until I can resume flying again and focus on completing the PPL? If I do pick up a plane in the interim what are peoples thoughts on buying a plane with full IFR vs buying one with VFR panel and then upgrading when the time comes? If buy now and update later what would I realistically be looking at price wise to update the panel later?

Hi all, I'm an armchair pilot who's been in the process of getting a PPL for the last 26 years. I was close to soloing again (3rd time) in a 160hp GCAA this year when the school shut down due to Covid. I have around 40 hours total, 7 of which are from this go around.

Welcome! Seems you probably have some aviation talent, and can develop the necessary skills with a bit of dedication and instruction.

In my readings the RV series seems to be what I would be looking for in a plane; quick and aerobatic capable. I'm leaning towards the RV6/7 or 8 prebuilt as time is at a premium at the moment. Hope to find one with 180HP and a constant speed prop, IFR would be nice as I live in the PNW. I haven't flown in one but will likely contact the factory as soon as they offer demo flights again.

You will not get a lot of argument from this group on that thinking. Plenty of owners will be glad to give you a ride, no need to wait on a factory demo.

I'm wondering if I'm a fool for even considering purchasing a plane now/ should I just wait until I can resume flying again and focus on completing the PPL?

Financially, you would be buying in an 'up' market. Some would call that foolish, but you would be in the company of fools, RV's are selling fast these days. Nothing says you can't finish your PPL in your own RV. You would just need to find the right instructor and be willing to pay the insurance premium.

If I do pick up a plane in the interim what are peoples thoughts on buying a plane with full IFR vs buying one with VFR panel and then upgrading when the time comes? If buy now and update later what would I realistically be looking at price wise to update the panel later?

It depends on your personal timeline to get your IFR ticket. Your past training history would make me think that you would be just fine getting the first plane you can get your hands on. If it was IFR, great. If not, plan on $5k (older used stuff) to $25k (latest and greatest) in parts to upgrade, depending on your desires. Add labor on top of that, either your own, or someone else's. You can save money on parts in the experimental world, labor not so much.

All the above JMHO tonight, to give you a starting point. Lots of variables to this particular equation. Hang around, and enjoy the ride, dreaming was half the fun for me!

Last edited:
start begging for rides

Welcome, you came to the right place!

First, before making a final decision on anything, go find your local RV group. EAA Chapters can point you in the right direction if walking out on the local airport and looking for open hangars doesn't work for you.

Ask for rides, we love to show off our RVs. Lots of people have built them and the ones that bought them flying really enjoy finding an excuse to go flying.

In the mean time, while you're getting a few rides in different RV models, do some reading and research.

There's lots of content here listing exactly the steps to successfully find and buy an RV. Search here.

There's recently released books by Vic Syracuse. The links are here on VAF, search for those.

Go to Van's Aircraft website and read "Buying a Flying RV."

link: https://www.vansaircraft.com/faq-technical-builder-items/buying-a-flying-rv/

You're not foolish. I've met a couple pilots who bought an RV while finishing the training to get a private pilot certificate. What fun!

I’d recommend learning to fly before buying a plane. Airplane ownership can be very resource-consuming...time and money...and can divert you from your primary mission. Your past history suggests that maybe you ought to demonstrate to yourself a commitment to a PPL before taking the very significant step of committing to being an airplane owner. Of course, you could finish your PPL, even get your instrument rating, in your RV but you;’d have to find an instructor qualified to do it, as well as an A&P close by, or at least an “RV-Guru” to steer you through the process. It is a very tricky landscape, especially in today’s seller’s market.

It varies from place to place of course, but around here, the closest RV instructor that would be acceptable to my insurance company is 120 miles away.

If you can find an IFR-equipped RV with the guidance of an RV-expert, and if you can afford it in this market, and if it doesn't have any of the little squawks that often crop up with a used Experimental, and if you have someone that can help you tweak it or fix it, bear in mind that modern avionics have a lifespan, just like your computer, cellphone, or iPad, so you have to know where your panel is on that continuum and how much it's going to cost to replace that 8 year-old EFIS if it breaks. As to IFR, bringing an Experimental VFR panel to IFR can be a $30,000 hit.

IMHO...learn to fly first. Maybe you'll lose interest midway in the process and you probably don't want to do so stuck with an airplane that you bought in a seller's market.

Last edited:
Buy what you like, but fly in some first. IFR? You will likely find some good bones with aging avionics. Good time to learn to fly it VFR and then upgrade to a modern panel. You can do that, but it must be signed off officially which you can't do. That way you will end up with a great plane, equipped to your liking and with modern components, likely including new AP servos.

2 cents.

Buy what you like, but fly in some first. IFR? You will likely find some good bones with aging avionics. Good time to learn to fly it VFR and then upgrade to a modern panel. You can do that, but it must be signed off officially which you can't do.

I agree with buying a VFR airplane ad them upgrading it to IFR, especially for someone that has yet to earn their PPL - but the truth is, anyone can buy an experimental aircraft and upgrade it however they like, with no “official” sign off. Yes, he will need an “official” static system/transponder IFR check, but that is the only thing that someone else will need to sign off.

Paul

Speaking from experience...a upgrading a panel, especially a VFR panel to IFR, or even replacing or upgrading components of an existing IFR panel (which I am in the middle of right this moment) is a daunting task. It's do-able by someone who is an experienced pilot with a thorough knowledge of avionics and aircraft wiring. It will be, I would say, impossibly difficult for new pilot or a non-pilot who has no experience or knowledge of Experimental aircraft in general or avionics specifically.

I've been a pilot a long time, but this project would be impossibly difficult for me if I didn't have an experienced buddy willing to spend hours on his back under my instrument panel doing things that I have insufficient understanding of.

My panel today...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 11.48.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 11.48.26 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 235
Thank you all the insight. There definitely is a lot of collective knowledge around here and you all have given me a lot to think about!
With the way RV's are flying off the shelf and a shortage of time on my end it will likely take a while to find the right plane. I am definitely enjoying the hunt in between work and studying for the written. This really does seem to be a great community and here are tons for great posts on here to dig through and absorb..
A local person saw my post, reached out and offered a ride when the weather improves a bit. I'm looking forward the the RV grin!

I'm wondering if I'm a fool for even considering purchasing a plane now/ should I just wait until I can resume flying again and focus on completing the PPL? If I do pick up a plane in the interim what are peoples thoughts on buying a plane with full IFR vs buying one with VFR panel and then upgrading when the time comes? If buy now and update later what would I realistically be looking at price wise to update the panel later?

Well I satisfactorily completed my checkride yesterday in the Citabria even after wasting way to many hours browsing through this site while "studying".... Still looking forward to exploring RV's some more. I've contacted a place to do some transition training and hope to get that scheduled soon.

Back