What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Suspend QB fuselage from ceiling?

A36Lee

Searched but couldn't find much on this.

I have a quickbuild RV-8 fuselage that I will not get to for a while. I have a fairly high ceiling in my shop/garage and am considering storing it suspended from the ceiling to make room for my car in the garage until I can begin work on the fuselage.

Anyone done this? Would like to see/hear how you went about it. Obviously don't want to end up dropping the thing on the floor from 8' up.

My current plan would be to suspend it upside down from each side of the plywood shipping insert in the spar area and from the tailwheel mount in the rear.

Last edited:
All my parts for my empennage kit are sitting on one of those SafeRacks that are bolted into the ceiling. I think they are rated for 800 lbs.

While not the same, we hang racing shells from the ceiling of the boat house using firehouse as a sling and a rope and block system to raise and lower. Same weight as a QB fuse. Two slings holds the boats close to the ceiling and do not damage the surface. These shells are made of Carbon Fiber and key is to disperse the load with firehouse as opposed to the point load of rope.

Searched but couldn't find much on this.

I have a quickbuild RV-8 fuselage that I will not get to for a while. I have a fairly high ceiling in my shop/garage and am considering storing it suspended from the ceiling to make room for my car in the garage until I can begin work on the fuselage.

Anyone done this? Would like to see/hear how you went about it. Obviously don't want to end up dropping the thing on the floor from 8' up.

My current plan would be to suspend it upside down from each side of the plywood shipping insert in the spar area and from the tailwheel mount in the rear.

Alternatively, can you stand it on end just like Vans stores its QB fuselages. There is no worry about rope breaking after a few years of building the other parts.

Worked great ...

Hanging the RV-6A fuselage (QB) from the ceiling in the corner of the 9 ft garage was a great choice. It gave me room to organize the garage, and I also used the time to clean & polish the fuselage. (It was a QB purchased in 1997 and stored in a hangar for 8 yrs without any work.) I also put eye-bolts in the entire ceiling and stored the HS, VS, Rudder, Flaps, and Ailerons, using bungee cords.

Attachments

• Fuselage RV-6A.jpg
    Fuselage RV-6A.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 339
Alternatively, can you stand it on end just like Vans stores its QB fuselages. There is no worry about rope breaking after a few years of building the other parts.

Awesome idea - sadly when I checked my ceiling height i come up about 5' short of being able to do this.

Hanging the RV-6A fuselage (QB) from the ceiling in the corner of the 9 ft garage was a great choice. It gave me room to organize the garage, and I also used the time to clean & polish the fuselage. (It was a QB purchased in 1997 and stored in a hangar for 8 yrs without any work.) I also put eye-bolts in the entire ceiling and stored the HS, VS, Rudder, Flaps, and Ailerons, using bungee cords.

Winch straps - perfect! For some reason my mind was locked into ropes and pulleys to raise it and then secure somehow. I have several winch straps around which will make the task much simpler. Thanks for the pic!

When you hang it, put it upside down, that way it doesn't get dirt, dust, and critters inside.

Last edited:
Although dirt daubers don't seem to care how it's oriented. Upside down makes a lot of sense and I'd think about using screen door mesh (the soft plastic kind) to cover the openings

Back