What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally, the plane I wanted all along!

catmandu

Well Known Member
Back before we started college funds, M'lady and I thought, "Yeah, P-51! If things go as we plan, we just might have to do one of those down the road." Well, we probably should have invested in a Mustang rather than college funds, as we could endow an entire college with the sale proceeds these days. Oh well.

Some time later, I discovered Van's airplanes. I fell in love with the -8, and felt it was a poor man's P-51. I thought about building one, but after two years of 'planning' I realized I needed to be a buyer. So I went about looking for the right plane, and engaged the help of our own @smokyray. Turns out he found a -6a that fit 90% of my RV desires, and convinced me to buy it. That plane has been very good to us over the years, giving us lots of flying memories, and I have had great fun maintaining and upgrading it as well, scratching that build itch I had.

A while back a casual post here on VAF in an unrelated thread led me to start a conversation offline. One thing led to another, and we now own a Super-8! We now have too many airplanes and not enough hangar:

0UWhdk3l.jpg

The plane was beautifully built to be a show winner, and lovingly cared for by the former owner, just not flown enough (we will fix that!). I figured out (mostly) all the details of a trans-border aircraft sale, with a side of Covid burdens thrown in for good measure. I also did a quick afternoon of flying with Bruce Bohannon in his -8 to knock the rust off my tailwheel skills, I highly recommend time with him to anyone of any proficiency level.

The Nevada hangar is still awaiting an occupancy permit, so I flew our new plane to the Maryland airport we still occupy, where I can bum some space for a while. One local hop so M'lady could wring it out a bit ("This plane is Fricking AWESOME!") and then I sent the registration back to the former owner to turn into Transport Canada. Hopefully weeks and not months from now, the future N184KM will fly again. Meanwhile, I've got to get the -6a ready to sell (M'lady has her limits, after all).

RV grins: not just for the newbies!

Last edited:
Looks beautiful. Congratulations on the new ride. I’m sure it will bring plenty of joy for you!

Safe flying

Keith

Pretty!!

Congrats on finally finding her! Two quick questions:
- What was the price of P51's when you were thinking it would be fun to own one? (and if you're willing - what year was that?)
- Can you remind us what makes the Super 8 ..."super". Bigger engine? More fuel??

Thanks

Congrats on finally finding her! Two quick questions:
- What was the price of P51's when you were thinking it would be fun to own one? (and if you're willing - what year was that?)
- Can you remind us what makes the Super 8 ..."super". Bigger engine? More fuel??

Thanks

Late 80's, flying P-51's were in the (future) attainable six figure range.

Super-8 has a 540 up front.

Cat,

Awesome! Welcome (back) to the centerline seating club! Can’t wait to do some form flying, but only if you promise to throttle back a bit!

NoPro

Congratulations!

A shame you have to change the “ACM” registration though. A “Super 8” would handle those quite well. :D

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS !!

:cool: CONGRATULATIONS !! and BEAUTIFUL !! Those colors brought back wonderful memories of a first car purchase upon returning from Vietnam War: 1968 Camaro Z28 Yellow with Black Rally Stripes and Black & Yellow Checkerboard Interior! Hottest Car on the Highway, Nicknamed it: "Old Yeller" after the first movie I saw on the family (B&W) Television late 50's. Nicer times back then hot cars were like RV's today! (See, still keeping it RV related):cool:

Beautiful bird!
Love yellow (or 1/2 yellow :D) airplanes anyway, not in the least biased...
I'd love to have a smooth running 6 cylinder powerhouse upfront,, envious? Not at all :eek:

Enjoy that gem :cool:

PS
Still trying to find the link between the devoted P-51 and an RV-8... tandem seats and alu build sure doesn't translate in the mighty WW2 P-51 Mustang? Sweet dreams all ;)

PS
Still trying to find the link between the devoted P-51 and an RV-8... tandem seats and alu build sure doesn't translate in the mighty WW2 P-51 Mustang? Sweet dreams all ;)

Dunno, just asked the kids, they said there was an app for that! :D

btAsUDrl.jpg

Insurance

Mike,
It seems like we have an opportunity for an apples to apples comparison of insurance rates between a RV6A and a Super RV8. Pilot is obviously identical, but the aircraft is (radically) altered on the policy.

I'm sure you researched insurance rates before you made this dramatic change. Would you care to reveal the rate changes you encountered?

Back before we started college funds, M'lady and I thought, "Yeah, P-51! If things go as we plan, we just might have to do one of those down the road." Well, we probably should have invested in a Mustang rather than college funds, as we could endow an entire college with the sale proceeds these days. Oh well.

Some time later, I discovered Van's airplanes. I fell in love with the -8, and felt it was a poor man's P-51. I thought about building one, but after two years of 'planning' I realized I needed to be a buyer. So I went about looking for the right plane, and engaged the help of our own @smokyray. Turns out he found a -6a that fit 90% of my RV desires, and convinced me to buy it. That plane has been very good to us over the years, giving us lots of flying memories, and I have had great fun maintaining and upgrading it as well, scratching that build itch I had.

A while back a casual post here on VAF in an unrelated thread led me to start a conversation offline. One thing led to another, and we now own a Super-8! We now have too many airplanes and not enough hangar:

0UWhdk3l.jpg

The plane was beautifully built to be a show winner, and lovingly cared for by the former owner, just not flown enough (we will fix that!). I figured out (mostly) all the details of a trans-border aircraft sale, with a side of Covid burdens thrown in for good measure. I also did a quick afternoon of flying with Bruce Bohannon in his -8 to knock the rust of my tailwheel skills, I highly recommend time with him to anyone of any proficiency level.

The Nevada hangar is still awaiting an occupancy permit, so I flew our new plane to the Maryland airport we still occupy, where I can bum some space for a while. One local hop so M'lady could wring it out a bit ("This plane is Fricking AWESOME!") and then I sent the registration back to the former owner to turn into Transport Canada. Hopefully weeks and not months from now, the future N184KM will fly again. Meanwhile, I've got to get the -6a ready to sell (M'lady has her limits, after all).

RV grins: not just for the newbies!

Super 8's are the Bomb !!!! They are literally the poor man's P-51.I owned one for over a decade and loved it. I still miss it, after selling it to another ex-military pilot. You will love this machine:). Congrats !!!!

Attachments

• Dragon Flt.jpg
    Dragon Flt.jpg
    712.3 KB · Views: 156
Mike,
It seems like we have an opportunity for an apples to apples comparison of insurance rates between a RV6A and a Super RV8. Pilot is obviously identical, but the aircraft is (radically) altered on the policy.

I'm sure you researched insurance rates before you made this dramatic change. Would you care to reveal the rate changes you encountered?

Jim,

It is more like a cranberries to apple situation. The -6a policy has multiple named pilots on it, including a student (I am a sucker, I promote RV-ating as much as I can).

I am not exactly sure what the Super-8 insurance situation will end up with, but surely no student. My initial impression, given the conversations with my broker, is that it all boils down to declared hull value, plus or minus a little bit for other situations. YMMV.

Last edited:
Looks flash -)
I’d be interested to know perf specs over a stock 180 gee gee 8, my 8 flies really nice but is slightly nose heavy with IO360 & CS prop solo, a 6 banger must be heavier up front?
I flew a Rocket before I bought my 8, sure was ballistic but so was the FF and at nearing $10 bucks a Gallon here that was gunna hurt!
I’m jealous -)

Back