What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying without intersection fairings?

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Has anyone flown with gear leg fairings and NO intersection fairings? Is the one clamp at the top enough to hold it from rotating? I would like to make a few test flights with gear leg and and wheel fairings before I lock it all in with the intersection fairings. Am I missing anything? Thanks!

Been there, done that.

I did that during my phase I testing a few years back. No major issues, but I did have one gear leg fairing come loose when the fiberglass broke at the top. The fairing remained attached, but I instantly lost about 7 or 8 knots of airspeed when it happened. Returned to base since I wasn’t sure what had happened, and it took me a few minutes of troubleshooting to find the cause.

IMHO you should do the initial test flying without the fairings. The reason is that you will know if the plane flies true. If not do what you have to do to make it so. After you have it flying true put the gear leg and wheel pants on. If it continues to fly true great if not you will know what to adjust. It just takes some variables out of the equation and questions as to why it isn't flying true in the first place.

I did that during my phase I testing a few years back. No major issues, but I did have one gear leg fairing come loose when the fiberglass broke at the top. The fairing remained attached, but I instantly lost about 7 or 8 knots of airspeed when it happened. Returned to base since I wasn’t sure what had happened, and it took me a few minutes of troubleshooting to find the cause.

Thanks Dave, glad to hear from someone who did it.

IMHO you should do the initial test flying without the fairings. The reason is that you will know if the plane flies true. If not do what you have to do to make it so. After you have it flying true put the gear leg and wheel pants on. If it continues to fly true great if not you will know what to adjust. It just takes some variables out of the equation and questions as to why it isn't flying true in the first place.

I have had the plane flying for about 80 hours with no pants on. It flies very true indeed. Was hoping to do a test flight or two with the fairings on except the intersection fairings in case anything needs changed. Once the intersection fairings are on it is locked in. I am laying up my own intersection fairings and I would really rather only do that once. haha

I flew without upper and lower intersection for around 50 hours. the wheel pants were attached to the brackets per plans and the gear leg fairings were secured at top AND bottom with steel clamps. no problems observed.

Van's Recommendation

Pretty sure the manual suggests no gear fairings for the initial flight(s). Makes sense, as RV's are fast and slippery so as you sort out the plane and yourself, slower and draggier is better.

I flew without upper and lower intersection for around 50 hours. the wheel pants were attached to the brackets per plans and the gear leg fairings were secured at top AND bottom with steel clamps. no problems observed.

Thanks for the data point. Sounds like I will be good for a flight or two.

I did several flights with em the wheel pants and leg fairings minus the intersection fairing with minor shifting an no issues.

I did several flights with em the wheel pants and leg fairings minus the intersection fairing with minor shifting an no issues.

Awesome, thanks! I’m getting very close to getting her back in the air. It has pained me to keep it grounded for a week. Lol.

Back