What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power VP-X Placement

TheFrisco

Planning an RV-4 panel upgrade ... Where have you put your VP-X box? Shelf behind the panel? How much time you think you saved by using the VP-X versus traditional breakers?

I installed my Pro on a shelf behind the right side screen. It's hard to say how much time difference there is between C/B's and VPX. There's no drilling and buss lines, there's more panel space without C/B's, you can re-program a breaker, if you need to change the value, instead of remove / replace a C/B. But there's lots of wiring involved and understanding how to install and program takes time. If I was to do it again I'd use the VP-X again over C/B's.

I used a VPX in my -8 and have been very happy with it. I'm starting a Bearhawk Companion project and plan to use a VPX in it as well. That should tell you something. For me it's not a matter of $$$ but the ability to virutally move circuits to different switches plus the other safety capabilities built in. At the end of the day, unless you opt for a Buss fuse panel and blade fuses, I'm not sure the cost savings of CBs (if indeed they are cheaper) is worth giving up the flexibility and other build in functions, like the flap control, trim control, etc

RV-8 vs VPX

I can't speak for the RV-4 but I put mine on baggage bulkhead.
I would certainly install another one in a future project.

On this build, it could be slightly lower to give better access to buck the rivets just above. I will have to use a few pulled rivets there...

Attachments

• IMG_6464.jpg
    IMG_6464.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 147
As u can see, time savings isn’t what most are after. It’s all the other benefits.
I have a 7A. The only thing I’d do different is mount it in a place more convenient to access the connectors on each end. Think where to give u access in your 4.

Back