What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Swap from FM200 to FM150?

Cannon

Well Known Member
My not-yet-installed engine is a 9:1 Barrett IO-360 (parallel valve). It came with an AFP FM200. It seems as though most FM200s are installed on IO-390s - is it too much for a relatively stock IO-360?

Also, does the newer disk-type mixture valve offer any better resolution (for lack of a better term) for the fine-tuning required for LOP flying?

Is there any compelling reason to swap to an FM150?

I know I’m in for some glass work to make the Vans snorkel fit the FM200, but that alone seems like a silly reason to swap to the 150.

I would suggest a call to the good folks at Airflow Performance.
They are very knowledgeable and helpful and are best qualified to answer the questions. Please post their response, if possible.
Thanks, Jim

I have a FM200A mounted to an IOX 370. You will have some fiberglass work to do. Either a bulge in the lower cowl to accommodate Vans snorkel or you'll have to create and mount a chin scoop and filter to feed air directly into the injector, Dan H did this with a beautifully crafted air filter enclosure and scoop combo. The thread with all the details can be found in the fiberglass forum. I mounted my own scoop feeding into an airbox with a cone shaped filter. The cone shaped filter is not optimum from a air flow standpoint, but I'm happy with the performance thus far.

If I had to do it all again, I'd send Don Rivera my FM200 and get a FM150 in trade, and save myself about 3 months of work. I have buddies running the Silverhawk and they're just as fast as I am, and saved themselves a lot of time. Running a larger angle valve engine, I'd stick with the FM200. They can use the extra air. The FM150 and its ilk is all you need for the 180Hp parallel valve engine. My opinion for what it's worth

Thanks, Mark. I do have the Showplanes cowl, which requires a 2 1/2” prop extension, so I *think* the snorkel will clear, but I’d still need to fab up the interface with the FM200.

I’ve read through Dan H’s fiberglass how-to several times. He makes it look so easy..

Chris

I have a FM200A mounted to an IOX 370. You will have some fiberglass work to do. Either a bulge in the lower cowl to accommodate Vans snorkel or you'll have to create and mount a chin scoop and filter to feed air directly into the injector, Dan H did this with a beautifully crafted air filter enclosure and scoop combo. The thread with all the details can be found in the fiberglass forum. I mounted my own scoop feeding into an airbox with a cone shaped filter. The cone shaped filter is not optimum from a air flow standpoint, but I'm happy with the performance thus far.

If I had to do it all again, I'd send Don Rivera my FM200 and get a FM150 in trade, and save myself about 3 months of work. I have buddies running the Silverhawk and they're just as fast as I am, and saved themselves a lot of time. Running a larger angle valve engine, I'd stick with the FM200. They can use the extra air. The FM150 and its ilk is all you need for the 180Hp parallel valve engine. My opinion for what it's worth

If the snorkel will fit, the interface should be fairly straightforward. Depending on how much room you have, you could just bolt on a flange on the snorkel side the same diameter as the intake barrel on the FM200 and use a piece of silicone tube to connect the two.

I would also call Barrett. They will be happy to discuss the engine even if you purchased it used. They were extremely helpful to me when I purchased one of their engines used. Rhonda will be able to tell you the pros and cons of both the 150 and 200 with the mods the engine might have.
G

I would suggest a call to the good folks at Airflow Performance.
They are very knowledgeable and helpful and are best qualified to answer the questions. Please post their response, if possible.
Thanks, Jim

I spoke with Dan at AFP, Brian at Showplanes and a really helpful man who's name I’ve unfortunately forgotten at Airflow Systems today.

Probably no measurable difference if swapping an IO-360 to an FM-150. I got the impression that the FM200 IS a better match for for a 390, however. Some fabrication work will be required for an FM200/200A on an RV-8.

Brian at Showplanes was incredibly generous with his time, and among other things, confirmed that the stock Vans snorkel will clear the Showplanes cowl. Additionally, Brian and the Airflow Systems rep were very complimentary of each other’s products. Nice to see that.

Ordered a bunch of stuff from Showplanes, Airflow Systems and Aircraft Spruce.

Credit card is on fire.

Hello Cannon, So I'm getting an IO-360 soon and also have the ShowPlanes cowl. So to clarify your going with AFP FM 200? or the 150? Also I in the past have spoken to Brian at Showplanes many times because he was super generous with his time literally teaching me fiberglass technique on how to do his fastback conversion kit. My fastback turned out awesome and I really couldn't thank him enough! What a Great guy and teacher!! And I learned something about my self that shocked me and that is I love fiberglass work. Anyway Thanks Mike

Hello Cannon, So I'm getting an IO-360 soon and also have the ShowPlanes cowl. So to clarify your going with AFP FM 200? or the 150?

I bought the project with an FM200 already installed. Not sure why the original builder went that route with a mostly stock IO-360, but he did.

If I had an IO-390, I’d want an FM200. If I were starting from scratch with an IO-360 I’d go FM150, even if it were just for the lack of fabricating necessary on the snorkel. If using a forward intake, I don’t think it matters.

I’ve already plummed the fuel system for the purge line, so unless I get a good deal on an FM150 I’m probably just going to keep it. A new FM150 is $2200 - I think I’ll deal with some glass work and spend the difference on gas.

Back