What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Spar Anodizing

DarinFred

I know I?ve seen it before, but I can?t seem to find it now. Does anyone know what Type anodizing Van?s uses on their spars? I believe it?s Type II, but I haven?t been able to confirm. Thanks!

It's definitely not Type III if that is what you are wondering.

You can't get the pretty colors with type III (always dark gray, black, dark green) plus there is no need for the high surface hardness of Type III in the spar application.

Last edited:
Phlogiston Products

VAN's subcontracted the spar build-ups(using kit parts) to Phlogiston Products in Oregon for what most call "Vans built spars".http://www.phlogistonproducts.com/Photo-Gallery.html. While it does provide some additional corrosion protection typically applied to aircraft extrusions in commercial aircraft, alodining and priming as adequate for our needs on RV's. I like the easy identification of a Phlogiston spar when doing inspections, as they are typically flawless. There are a couple different anodize processes, Chromic or Sulfuric acid being the most common. You may reach out to Phlogiston and see who they use as a vendor, but all can do similar work. I use a local vendor in NC for my day job stuff, but the west coast has several big ones that support the jet MFG world and can handle long pieces. Hytek in Washington state is well known...get out the checkbook.

VAN's subcontracted the spar build-ups(using kit parts) to Phlogiston Products in Oregon for what most call "Vans built spars".http://www.phlogistonproducts.com/Photo-Gallery.html. While it does provide some additional corrosion protection typically applied to aircraft extrusions in commercial aircraft, alodining and priming as adequate for our needs on RV's. I like the easy identification of a Phlogiston spar when doing inspections, as they are typically flawless. There are a couple different anodize processes, Chromic or Sulfuric acid being the most common. You may reach out to Phlogiston and see who they use as a vendor, but all can do similar work. I use a local vendor in NC for my day job stuff, but the west coast has several big ones that support the jet MFG world and can handle long pieces. Hytek in Washington state is well known...get out the checkbook.

How do you tell if the spar is Phlogiston? Bought my RV-6 already flying, one of the selling points was it has the Phlogiston Spar.

Is there a stamp or just the appearance as you mention?

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

IDing a Phlogiston Spar

I recall seeing a label on one that was not yet in a wing, however, few if anyone has likely gone and had their spar parts anodized as does Phlogiston. That process MUST be done prior to building up the many parts in the spar assembly, not simply dipped in a big tank afterwards. If you see a gold anodized spar, there is a better than 99.9% that its a Phlogiston...while I cant technically prove my statement, I can fairly well substantiate it by experience and understanding both spar assembly and Anodizing, as well as a ton of historical research many of us builders and maintainers have learned over the last 40 years.

If you have any questions, why not just ask the experts at Phlogiston? I just talked to Tammey on a different topic, they are making Rocket spar sets for us, and she and Wayne are very helpful.

http://www.phlogistonproducts.com/

Man you got that right! Tammey replied back fast! She has no record, then Barb from Vans contacted me with the info I needed. Tammey did verify gold as the way to tell.

Mine were purchased in 1993. For some reason they are white, not sure if paint or primer coat. Wonder why they did that? Extra protection or is it a normal practice as part of the build?

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
If yours are white, its possible the builder painted them prior to assembling the wing. I have seen that also, but usually just primered. The Phlogiston spars were a very popular option for builders that were apprehensive about the "big" rivets and critical nature.

Back