What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 GDL-82 Box under seat pan?

AN23

Well Known Member
I?m getting ready to install our GDL-82 and trying to figure out the best location for the actual GDL-82 box. Our behind the panel space is pretty much occupied and an installation there requires coiling the required six feet of coax so, I was wondering if anyone has mounted the box under the seat pan and near the transponder antennae? Seems like it would make sense as you could perhaps use the original coax to connect to the box and the run to the GPS antennae would utilize most, if not all, of the required six feet of coax. This would also minimize the time spent on my back, upside down, while trying to decide if I need EMS to get me out of there! I have to say that I didn?t build the plane and I haven?t pulled the pan out yet. Is there something there that presents a problems this type of install?

Never mind guys. Just crawled under the panel and the way Brian Carroll built this, it?s going to be easy peasy!

Controls conflict

Under the seat pan was my plan for the GDL-82. Got pretty far along before I discovered how much the control rods move around down there. There?s no place to put the unit that is completely clear of the control motion.

-Andy

ADS-B Mounts

I stacked the GDL82 and GDL50R on a shelf just aft of the rear bag bulkhead, same level as the floor on my 6. They are on the right side between the center strut used for the elevator horn and where the sidewall curves up. I have about 2" vertical clearance between the two units.

Both work like a champ with zero percent failure during my performance flight test for ADS-B Out. The GDL82 supplements data from my KT76A mode C, and the GDL50R drives data to a new Aera 660 panel mounted via Air Gizmo. A happy camper I am.

Back