What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivets and Weights

Morepower

Hello everyone, I'm getting close to finishing my empennage on a 8A kit and have a couple of issues that have come up I'm needing feedback on. 1st, the drawing calls for MK319 BS blind rivets for attaching the elevator skin to the trim spar (the 4 holes on the end). After inserting these in the bottom I have come to the conclusion that I don't want these round headed rivets on the top skin where everything is countersunk. Is there an alternative countersunk blind rivet I could use? 2nd, I trimmed my left counterweight before I saw right side only. Is this a problem or is it trash (it's all bolted and riveted in)? Thanks so much for your input.

Mk319bs IS countersunk flat head.

Attachments

• E26A57A6-3B51-49BC-902B-6CA3A0FF0521.png
    E26A57A6-3B51-49BC-902B-6CA3A0FF0521.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 50
Great, I identified the rivets from the packing list. A search of A/S didn't even turn up that type so I guess I'll have to call Vans. I did dimple the holes and thought it was strange to drill them out for these rivets, but I checked and rechecked the drawing. Any idea what these might be? Thanks

Attachments

• MK 319 BS (2).jpeg
    MK 319 BS (2).jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 100
I think the rivet you have pictured is an MSP-42. Look through the bag you probably have both types in 1 bag.

That would make sense. The packing list calls for 14ea, MK-319-BS and I have only 12, where as the list calls for 12ea, MSP-42s (of which I have none). So it looks like I switched them around. So now I have to figure out where I put the wrong MSP-42s.

Pull rivets

That would make sense. The packing list calls for 14ea, MK-319-BS and I have only 12, where as the list calls for 12ea, MSP-42s (of which I have none). So it looks like I switched them around. So now I have to figure out where I put the wrong MSP-42s.

That's important. MK-319-BS is a tiny bit bigger in diameter than a #3 rivet (7/64"). MSP-42 is 1/8". That means several holes were drilled 1/8". Let us know.

As for the counterweight, you’re going to have to add that weight back in some how, and maybe a bit more after paint. If. It was me I would drill out the counterbalance skin on one side and replace the weight.

Well the good news is that I accounted for all of the rivets. There are only 5 misplaced. The four MSP-42s drilled to 1/8 are in the last 4 holes on the bottom side skin to the trim spar. Only one MK319 BS is in the folded tab on the elevator. I found that I had placed them in a different bag so I just switched bags. Do you think I should drill the MK319 out and replace it (easy to do at this point) or leave well enough alone? Is there a rivet I can replace the four MPS-42s with (like the oops rivets)? Lesson learned is to use the chart to ID these pop rivets.
I have electric trim so does that require removing weight from the left side? Not looking forward to drilling out all of those rivets. But, if I need to I'll replace it. Thanks again.

It’s an open question.
You could leave it as is, and accept that you’re going to add a lot more weight to the elevator, and have a plan for how you’re going to do it and where.

My wing kit is not here yet, so I figure it's better to replace it now while I have the time. Thanks to everyone for your help.

If you have electric trim in your left elevator, your elevator counterweight will be more than the right elevator counterweight (to counter the weight of the trim motor aft of the hinge line). On mine, I removed very little weight from my left counter weight, but I removed quite a lot of the right elevator counterweight. Adjusting the elevator counterweights to achieve balance should be done independently of each other. On mine, I laid a small hand towel on the elevator to simulate the weight of the paint. It’s a guess on the paint weight, but it should be close enough.

Back