What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

After 50 Years, Is It Still The Best??

Still the best

For what it was designed to do, I'd say "yes". Van invented the term "total performance" and with a speed envelope from 50 - 200 mph he pretty much proved his point. And then there are all the refinements through the years and the support network - as evidenced by this forum here - I don't think anyone else has come close. They've moved on to other missions like STOL aircraft instead and the guys at Cub Crafters have had similar (but different) success.

Now as for "best handling", I'm pretty sure the Acroduster I'm building will be a better handling airplane than my RV-3 was and is more aesthetically appealing, but that's comparing apples to oranges.

Some years back, there was an article in Kitplanes, I believe, asking three writers this same question. Two of the three said RV-4. That was my second choice behind the Thunder Mustang, chosen because it's ailerons didn't get heavy at speed. At least, not up to the mid-200s.

Of course, there's more than handling as airplane criteria -- performance, ride in turbulence, maintainability, interior comfort, visibility, etc. Not that the RVs don't do well, there, mostly.

I don't think so. I had 0-32 160hp RV-3 with wood prop and RV-4 with IO-360 and CS. I think the RV-4 is better, faster, more range.

Back