What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E mag io540 questions

glenn72pc

Rv10 with a io540 I am installing a e mag the plane has electronic shower of sparks The instructions indicate to remove the shower of sparks concerns about a backfeed to the e mag I have called them and they cannot give me any real Scientific reason other than they had an initial problem with 2. Emags that had shower of sparks that failed looking at the wiring I can not see how that’s possible can anyone tell me a good reason why I should not keep the shower of sparks. *** Next what auto spark plugs have been used on a io540 with the e mag ?

my experience

While I do not have electronic shower of sparks on my IO540, if PMAG recommends that you remove it because of failures, I would remove it. With a PMAG you certainly do not need more spark. I installed a PMAG on my IO540 in Feb 2021 and was happy with its performance so I am installing a second PMAG this week as part of its condition inspection. I used the spark plug that is recommended in their Series 200-6XL Installation and Operating Guide on page 21 Appendix 1 where the NGK BR8ES #5422 is recommended. I change them annually.

I used the spark plug that is recommended in their Series 200-6XL Installation and Operating Guide on page 21 Appendix 1 where the NGK BR8ES #5422 is recommended. I change them annually.

The emag documentation indicates the solid tip BR8ES (#3961) is preferred over the screw on tip (#5422) version.

"Short Reach Plugs (uses SR plug adapter)
1) NGK Spark Plug BR8ES 2.5mm center electrode.
Stock #3961 has a solid terminal tip (preferred).
Stock #5422 has a screw on tip – if used make sure the tip is well secured."

I do not know the answer to your question, but: the Slick start (‘shower of sparks’) unit also boosts the input voltage to the mag (it is designed to be used without an impulse mag). It may be that the boosted voltage was too much for the emag.

Same situation as you. One Slick Mag and one PMag (installed by Trent from E-Mag Ignitions). We kept the shower of sparks but it is only connected to the Slick Mag.

The only reason for the shower of sparks is to enable starting. The emag can handle starting duties, so you can remove that system and the mag with the retard breaker and let the pmag do its magic.

The only reason for the shower of sparks is to enable starting. The emag can handle starting duties, so you can remove that system and the mag with the retard breaker and let the pmag do its magic.

If you choose to run one pMag and one Mag, leaving the left mag with the retard and putting the pMag on the right side allows for both ignitions for start.

As discussed, the shower of sparks no longer has a function. Sell it.

Carl

My original question was how could the shower sparks from the mag hurt in anyway the P mag they are two totally separate units both primary side and secondary side of each

Back