What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

External EGT Probes?

No reason why they should not work IF you have a compatible EMS. If anything I'd guess the there would be a longer time lag in when EGTs change. On the hole in the exhaust pipe presenting a problem - I disagree.

My quick take is these would cost more, may be harder to use and perhaps not respond as quickly. I don't see any pros to offset the cons.

Carl

I don't think it would give you the same information. The exhaust manifold temperature first off will be different depending on the outside air temperature. There is some thermal impedance between the exhaust air temperature and the outside air that will cause the difference. So while you could calibrate the difference out that would be at a single outside air temperature.
There is also some thermal mass of the manifold which will result in a slower temperature rate of change. Doesn't seem like a worthwhile change.

True

...There is also some thermal mass of the manifold which will result in a slower temperature rate of change. Doesn't seem like a worthwhile change.
I suspect that you are correct, just curious if anyone has slapped one of these on their exhaust system near the EGT probe to see if there would be a way to get the same info, indirectly.

For example, if someone had told me 20 years ago that I could get the amount of oxygen in my blood by using a small thing connected to my fingertip I'd have said that they were insane. :)

My pesos

That is inexpensive compared to the last EGT probe I purchased. And since we are looking more for trend information than accurate values in regards to EGT temperatures, I believe it would be worth a shot. No combustion deposits and not having to drill holes in your exhaust system would be advantages as would cowl clearance and spark plug removal issues. If your system uses a type K thermocouple give it a shot and report back. This is what experimental aviation is all about.

It would be interesting to see one hooked up beside a normal probe on the same cylinder just to see what the temp indication difference would be.

Back