What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH Departure Thursday morning

RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
For those of us leaving OSH Thursday morning it was frustrating to say the least, but the circumstances were what they were. The lines to the runway were long and painfully slow, but eventually we made it out of there.

I took a couple snaps of my traffic screen on the climbout. It's amazing how many airplanes safely navigated their way south yesterday.

I'm already looking forward to next year.

14798755721_a464d313c2_b.jpg

14615252418_fb6dc7b712_b.jpg

Thursday?

Thursday is usually a high-departure morning anyway, was that any worse than usual?

Yea, I saw the same thing too. Sometimes ADS/B TIS traffic can be more than you want to know.:eek:

They closed 36/18 for departures at about 9 AM due to an accident (Breezy went inverted and crashed into a fuel truck off of 36). The only way out was on 27 along with all the Warbirds, North 40 people, and the Classics. Taxi way A was backed up all the way to camping. I waited until about 11:30 when they finally opened up 36 again.

We started taxing around 11am. It took about 45 minutes to get the 36L. It was going pretty quick until they started recovering the warbirds. Fortunately, we got out just ahead of the C-17 arrival.

Transponders are suppose to be turned off within 30 miles to and from OSH. :rolleyes:

Only for aircraft arriving and departing OSH. Unroll eyes..

Also, with my transponder OFF I still painted traffic from other ground and air stations that were transmitting it.

I was in that late Thursday morning 36 departure line. Is it just me - noticing my scorching engine temps - or do a lot of people seem to be challenged actually moving into position and departing promptly when clearly told to do so?

I was quite amazed at the number of adsb traffic hits I got while taxing out yesterday. It was seeing 20+ hits of just other aircraft on the ground.

And yes, my transponder was in standby.......

I was in that late Thursday morning 36 departure line. Is it just me - noticing my scorching engine temps - or do a lot of people seem to be challenged actually moving into position and departing promptly when clearly told to do so?

I leaned pretty aggressively while taxing to prevent fouling. My temps never got over 350, but I could see other's having problems.

It did take me a bit more than normal to get going once cleared, but then again, I was also at gross weight. I was just thankful for the AOA to help me make a quick turn south east to get out of the way of the King Air on my tail and the C-17 attempting to land.

We took off a few minutes before the C-17 got there. We saw him in the air about 7 miles out. The C-17 went around right? It sounded pretty hairy. And I guess there was a bunch of wash that hit the planes waiting to enter the runway.

It was sort of a cluster, including the staggerwing driver whining to tower.

My CHTs were good, all below 330, but my oil was pretty toasty until we took off.

While waiting in line I was trying to be polite and I let this big twin tailwheel cross in front of me (BE-18?) and it promptly blew a orange cone under my plane as he taxied into the grass. It was a bad decision to move behind him until he was at least 50 yards away. I won't make that mistake again.

We took off a few minutes before the C-17 got there. We saw him in the air about 7 miles out. The C-17 went around right? It sounded pretty hairy. And I guess there was a bunch of wash that hit the planes waiting to enter the runway.

It was sort of a cluster, including the staggerwing driver whining to tower.

My CHTs were good, all below 330, but my oil was pretty toasty until we took off.

While waiting in line I was trying to be polite and I let this big twin tailwheel cross in front of me (BE-18?) and it promptly blew a orange cone under my plane as he taxied into the grass. It was a bad decision to move behind him until he was at least 50 yards away. I won't make that mistake again.

I was two aircraft behind you. I watched the whole orange cone incident. I agree with your assessment.

Bob

Not sure who thought the Piper would keep the speed up, bad sequencing, or maybe he turned in on his own.

Wasn't aware of any wake issues from the C-17 personally. Was a 10-12 kt qtr crosswind.

Here's the video. Sorry for the shake and noise (turn off the sound).

https://vimeo.com/m/102334443

Last edited:
Not sure who thought the Piper would keep the speed up, bad sequencing, or maybe he turned in on his own.

Wasn't aware of any wake issues from the C-17 personally. Was a 10-12 kt qtr crosswind.

Here's the video. Sorry for the shake.

https://vimeo.com/m/102334443

There was also an issue with aircraft too close to the runway. I took off just a few aircraft ahead. There was a lively discussion between the controllers about spacing in the departure queue.

Back