What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 for new Tailwheel Pilot

RV4ME

Hi Everyone,

I have been debating on which RV to purchase. I will be buying one already built. I have read alot on the 4, 6, 7, and 8s. I really would like a 6 but I am concerned that some discussions have stated that the 6 is the most difficult of the RVs to handle. I have a lot of hours but only 10 in tailwheel (citabria). I have been flying an AA-1 for 3.5 years but recently sold it. I do plan on doing transition training.

It is advisable to start in a 6 or should I look at maybe a 4 or 7?

Thanks,

Tony

Consider that even if the -6 is the "most difficult" of the RV line, it's still pretty tame compared to most other taildraggers.

Tony,

I had 5.5 hours of Aeronca Champ time when I bought my -6 in February. That was my only tailwheel time in 2200 hours. I did the transition training with Jan Bussell (excellent by the way).

It can be done.

My friends who fly other tailwheel planes say that ALL the RV tailwheel planes are easier to handle than the Cubs and Champs and Decathlons and...

I bought an RV-6 about three and half years ago with exactly 3 hours tailwheel time in a Citabria.

I believe the 6 is the best value in the entire RV line if you are going to buy an already built plane, which is probably why I bought one.

I was in an even less experienced position than you and it all turned out fine, and I didn't even frighten my CFI all that much.

I did not find the RV-6 to handle significantly different from any of the other rod gear tailwheel models. I don't know how anyone can say a 6 is any "harder" than any other model. RVs are easy, straightforward tailwheel airplanes. You can start out in a -6. ****, I have a couple friends who bought a Pitts with zero tailwheel hours. Took them about 20 hrs to get competent, but you can adjust to anything. You will be perfectly fine after a tailwheel endorsement and an RV checkout. All that should take well under 20 hrs.

Your bigger concern will be insuring yourself while flying the -6 with low tailwheel time. That applies to all RV's (tailwheel models) equally however. After your first year your rates will decrease significantly.

I've flown a Cessna 140, Cessna 190, Cessna L19/305, Citabria, and a Druine Turbi (a french wooden tailwheel amateur-built). The Turbi was the easiest to handle. The RV-6 is second. If you've got time in a Citabria (and were reasonably competent at the end of it), you'll be fine in any of the RV's, the -6 included.

The only reason I can think of why a -6 might be "more difficult" is that with the side-by-side seating and low tailwheel, your visibility over the nose is reduced ahead and to the right. In the inline RV's, you have symmetric peripheral vision out each side even when the tail is down.

Hi Everyone,

I have been debating on which RV to purchase. I will be buying one already built. I have read alot on the 4, 6, 7, and 8s. I really would like a 6 but I am concerned that some discussions have stated that the 6 is the most difficult of the RVs to handle. I have a lot of hours but only 10 in tailwheel (citabria). I have been flying an AA-1 for 3.5 years but recently sold it. I do plan on doing transition training.

It is advisable to start in a 6 or should I look at maybe a 4 or 7?

Thanks,

Tony

I did my tailwheel (and RV) transition in a -6, as a newly-minted private pilot with about 50 hours. You won't have a problem.

Go for it !!

I had never even ridden in a RV of any type when I bought my 6 last October. I had 6 hours of tailwheel time and after 20 hours of training I got my signoff for the insurance company. I only have 350 hours most all in a Cherokee. The RV-6 is so much fun!! Get the best plane you can find. The most important things are engine and airframe. Don't get too excited about pretty paint, interior, and avionics.

The only plane I flew prior to my RV-6 was a Piper Tomahawk, and that was over 22 years ago and no flying at all during this time before I decided I wanted to try this. Because of those factors and probably not so much that the 6 was that difficult to fly, the transition wasn?t easy for me. With the Tomahawk, you flared at 15? pulled the power all the way and just waited until it was ready to come down.

With the 6, some including me comment that the bottom tends to want to fall out upon flare, if you don't get it about 1' off the runway, but I eventually realized how much of a friend the throttle was just coming over the numbers or just a little bit thereafter, and by adding ever so slightly a bit more juice. You only take up just a little bit more runway, and you'll also start to get the feel when she's fixin' to touch, and then you can get rid of all of your power, or just still keep a little bit of juice in and go for a two point because you still got so much runway to play with on these aircraft.

Nearly three years later, I?m doing much better, but I don?t think I?ll ever have it all figured out and ever have a very long run of 3 point landings. Just when I think I really got it all down, it?ll let me know soon enough, that no I don?t. All in all though, I think the 6 is a pussycat. Go with it first, you'll be fine.

That?s all I got. :)

Back