What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cardiologist/Electrophysiologist question

LarryT

Well Known Member
I was recently in the hospital where I had several SVT episodes.

The cardiologist claimed that it is a benign condition: it could be left untreated, treated with beta blockers or an ablation.

The electrophysiologist recommends only an ablation - says beta blockers don't work - they are essentially a placebo.

If I get an ablation the FAA won't review until 90 days have elapsed, after which they will spend their own sweet time reviewing records, which means I won't be flying this summer. The copays for the procedure would probably eliminate any discretionary income so I couldn't afford to fly anyway.

I would like an informed second opinion from a qualified VAF member.

Larry Tompkins
544WB -6A
W 52 Battle Ground, WA

Last edited:
I have had SVT, Supraventricular tachycardia. I am on beta blocklers and I can tell you that they are not placebos. If I forget to take the meds for a couple of days I can feel the episodes. The FAA has been totally fine with this condition. The meds are on their OK list and they just remark not to fly if I am experiencing the SVTs. I had chemotherapy for leukemia not too long ago (in remission) and the chemo really messed with the SVT while I was undergoing treatment. Things are back to normal now but I have not reapplied for a medical due to the hoops I am likely to be faced with and I am still under construction of the RV-9A anyway. None of the cardiologists that have treated me have mentioned ablation as a treatment. Note that this does not qualify me in any way shape or form, just my personal observations. PM me if you want to discuss this further outside the forum.

If I get an ablation the FAA won't review until 90 days have elapsed, after which they will spend their own sweet time reviewing records, which means I won't be flying this summer. The copays for the procedure would probably eliminate any discretionary income so I couldn't afford to fly anyway.

Flying should not be in the decision process. Your Health is way, way more important to you and your family. Do what your doctors say. Then follow the process to get back in the air.

Back