What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator stiffness update

LarryT

Well Known Member
When I get a rare opportunity to work on the -6A, I have been trying to follow Walt and Scott's suggestions.

I had a sinking feeling that the elevator center bearing was not rotating, so I removed the assembly. I believe it is called 411PP. I can't even get it to rotate when I clamp the shoulders between the ears of a vise. This pretty much confirms Walt's opinion that the center bearing was being used as a bushing rather than a bearing.

What is the recommended practice for replacing the bearing? I assume on a -6, the mating holes to the fuselage were match drilled during construction. Would it be best if I drilled out the rivets so I could reuse the ears that match the holes in the fuselage?

Larry Tompkins
544WB -6A
W52 Battle Ground WA

I would think drilling out the rivets would be the best way. Practice on scrap first. Mark the orientation of the brackets so they go back on the same way. Search the archives for drilling out tips and techniques.

Bevan

Back