What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A 180hp nose wheel weight

Bevan

Well Known Member
Looking for about 10 data points here.

If you have the figures close at hand, I would like to know your weight on the nose wheel (empty weight) ONLY if your aircraft has ALL of the following:

RV7A
0-360 Lyc 180HP (carb or injected),
slider canopy, and
hartzell CS prop.

All other specifics are irrelevant.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Fuel Injected Tip-up.

No operational problems. 300 hrs on nose tire and expect to get 300 more. Impossible to go out the rear CG envelope with 100 lbs baggage limit.

Bevan,
A criteria that is more influential than fuel injection and canopy is whether the craft is painted or not.
Paint should reduce the nose load because the paint GC is rearward.

Mine is not painted.

Additionally, when I was building the tribal knowledge was that these craft were tail heavy. Since then, more info posted here has revealed that the tail dragger with FP prop tends to be tail heavy. The 7A CS tends the other way. I have very little equip in the fuselage because of intentionally pushing equipment forward. Pitch servo, magnetometer and ADS-B transmitter are in the back. Mounting ELT, strobe box, and AHRS in the back can help.

Last edited:
Looking for about 10 data points here.

If you have the figures close at hand, I would like to know your weight on the nose wheel (empty weight) ONLY if your aircraft has ALL of the following:

RV7A
0-360 Lyc 180HP (carb or injected),
slider canopy, and
hartzell CS prop.

All other specifics are irrelevant.

Thanks.

Mine is as your specs above and with carb and painted
1138 empty
302 on nose wheel
79.4 CofG location

Peter

RV7A
0-360 - Carb/Mags - Slider - Hartzell BA (F7497) prop

Right - 410#
Left - 401#
Nose - 277#
Total - 1088#
CG 79.32

Dan

nose gear weight

RV-7A, parallel valve IO-360, Hartzell prop, slider. Nose gear weight = 293 lb, with tanks holding un-useable fuel only.

Nose wheel weight

Just check my W&B sheet.

RV7A - Slider
0-360 - Carb/P-Mags - Hartzell BA (F7497) prop

Right - 422#
Left - 421#
Nose - 286# with Anti-splat brace
Total - 1129#
CG 80.07"

RV-7A

7A
Lycoming 0-360 sensenich fixed pitch
tip-up
unpainted (polished)

Empty Weight= 1060 lbs
Nose weight= 260 lbs

Jim Diehl
KLHV Lock Haven, Pa

7A nose wheel weight

I would have never thought there is so much variation between individual aircraft of the same general configuration. Mine is 7A slider with O-360 and metal Senseninch prop. Nose wheel weight is 281 pounds.
Apparently just a little change here and there makes quite a bit of difference. :D

Nose weight

Average of 13 submissions = 286 Lbs, + 25 lbs. Extremes are 8.7% from average - distribution is closely centered around average - not that much variation to me.

Larry Tompkins
544WB -6A
W52 Battle Ground WA

Back