What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WA to Phoenix routes?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Am in preliminary planning for a trip to Phoenix from central Washington. Lots of Restricted areas, MOAs, grand canyon, and terrain generally. Any suggestions for routes? Anything like this?

2uti90z.jpg

Last edited:
I have always used the CA Central valley route. Much lower terrain, more populated and less military/restricted stuff.

Sort of Phoenix - Blythe - Mojave Desert - Bakersfield - Redding - Grants Pass - Eugene ... you can get the general idea...:)

I bet it's not much different in distance than the one you show.

Family in Bakersfield and friends near Sacramento do influence my route a bit though.:)

PS Don't forget the Special Grand Canyon sectional if you do use the route shown.

Last edited:
Hi Steve, Done this a lot and agree that the CA. valley route is a good one. A bit longer but very nice. Weather might dictate some of this. I usually use one of these 2 routes to go to your area though.
ELN RDM o43 BTY DVT or ELY BNO WMC DVT. I have not seen the MOA's hot when I've come that way nor did I worry about them much.
I might suggest coming this way using one route and retuning using another so to see the country. Remember, you don't have to fly an exact straight line so seeing some of the many valleys between the real high stuff is very pretty. Good luck, Larry

Hi Steve, Done this a lot and agree that the CA. valley route is a good one. A bit longer but very nice. Weather might dictate some of this. I usually use one of these 2 routes to go to your area though.
ELN RDM o43 BTY DVT or ELY BNO WMC DVT. I have not seen the MOA's hot when I've come that way nor did I worry about them much.
I might suggest coming this way using one route and retuning using another so to see the country. Remember, you don't have to fly an exact straight line so seeing some of the many valleys between the real high stuff is very pretty. Good luck, Larry

I did something similar to this a year ago. southbound out of Ellensburg to near Prinville, (S39) then direct to KSPZ (just east of Reno) for fuel, then to OAL, BTY, EED, and then KDVT about 965NM, I think.
But the time of year has a lot of influence on the route that I take.

Thanks for the suggestions! It looks like I've so far got about 3 routes, plus the one I started the thread with. A modifed CA version of Gil's on the left and the interior routes to the east:

15x65b7.jpg

Time of year/Wx factors also logical factors that should help me choose. Aside from the obvious need (for me) for VFR weather on any of these routes, I'm assuming the big variable for the more easterly routes would be wind conditions that might bring turbulence as well as maybe density altitude. Anything else I should factor in?

Finally, anyone have any thoughts against a Boise-Salt Lake City type of route like I started this thread with? (Would just like to keep it in the mix if Wx is an issue on the others.)

Thanks again for the thoughts... having never owned a plane until I finished building this one, true "cross-countries" never made it into my logbook, so it's a new piloting skill I need to acquire.

Last edited:
Steve,
I've flown back and forth around all this territory. I can attest the mountainous routes are a rough ride unless you go at least 15-16K ft. It's also very barren with few resources.

My favorite route for weather, ride & resources would be ELM RDM RBL BFL BLH DVT. On other point, the ride across the Mojave Desert during the summer in the afternoons is as good as always rough all the way to at least 12K. In that country, it's best to have your flying done by noon.

On your "Great Basin" route to St. George, them be big mountains out there. Much of the eastern route is handled by Salt Lake. They have trouble providing flight following unless you are cruising above 14K.
The California route is probably safer, but also much less interesting in my opinion.
The just east of the Sierra Nevada route is quite pretty, but much more remote than the CA route.

You will typically get a nice ride down and want to get high. Coming back, it is usually reversed, but I have gotten it both ways. Upper level winds may dictate which route to choose. Once over the big mountains, you can cruise at 4 or 5k and keep out of the head winds, but may pay the price in the bumps.

I have recorded my highest ground speed ever near Shasta however on a return trip of all things. 235 knts.

Big Bear

I do something similar to your westernmost route every year in February or March to visits my folks in Tucson. I have used L45 and it's always great to visit John Harmon's Rocket Café but sometimes I use L35 (Big Bear). It also has a good café and fair fuel prices, but the biggest advantages are you do not lose much altitude in and out and the scenery is excellent.
P.S. I would use Bend over Redmond if it is just a fuel stop. Better yet use Sisters, we now have fuel, a nice airport car, bicycles and a brand new 60' wide runway.

Last edited:
I have flown that route 2x

In general terms, I have gone Bend-Winnemucca-St. George-Phoenix.

Unless you are in a hurry, take two days. Leave early the first day and stop in St. George. Brand new airport and very nice FBO. The real thermal bumps don't start until early afternoon, so you should be on the ground by then.

Day 2, leave early and fly directly over the Grand Canyon. I crossed that one off my bucket list this past summer. Not to be missed.

I have also followed the Colorado River to Needles and then angled in to AZ as well as using the CA Central Valley route heading home from San Diego.

PM me if you want any more info.

Larry Tompkins
544WB -6A
W52 Battle Ground, WA

Winnemucca

If you come through Winnemucca, I would really like to see your plane. It is very similar to the one I am building. Free lunch and always a place to stay if RON is required.

Back