What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tubed vs. Tubeless Tires?

I saw that Cirrus has tubeless tires on Beringer wheels as one of it's features, so it begs the question; why are tubeless tires not more common on experimentals. Availability? Cost (Beringer or other)? Safety? Does anybody have any experience with using tubeless tires on RVs, particularly the -10. How about the use of remote tire pressure readings from a tubeless?

Tradition dies hard.

Also, the Cleveland wheels that most of us are using are not intended for tubeless tires. I suspect that I'll get 10 replies telling me that it can be done, but it typically isn't. Thus, you get a tube!

Berringer Wheels...

...appear to be 100% machined. they are 3 piece. The center is probably an extruded tube, while the wheel faces are probably machined from a round billet. The wheels are a clever design. Obviously they are not air permeable.
Cleveland wheel castings are not machined for an o-ring and who knows whether or not they are air permeable. They certainly are crude looking.

Larry Tompkins
544WB -6A
W52 Battle Ground WA

I have the Beringer wheel and tubeless tyre on my RV6A nose wheel.
I have over time had the Cleveland and then the Grove nose wheel fitted to my RV6A
The Beringer wheel is without a doubt the best nose wheel as it has the sealed for life bearings and the nose wheel has an aviation tyre instead of the Lamb tyre which is of relatively cheap quality and comes as standard with the RV kit from Vans. The tyre requires it to be pumped up to 45 PSA and holds its pressure requiring a check and additional air twice a year.
The Beringer nose wheel is lighter than the Cleveland and the same weight as the magnesium Grove nose wheel. The only down side is it is a bit more expensive

If cost was not a consideration, I would definately install the Beringer MLG wheels/brakes on my aircraft. Quite a few of us nose dragger guys use the Beringer nose wheel (which is reasonably priced), the tubeless design here is a definate plus for us with the 11:00-4-5 tires where you really can't buy a good tube.

I have installed a full set of Beringer wheels/brakes on a customers aircraft, he is very happy with them. The quality of the Beringer wheels is outstanding from what I saw.

For those of you with tubeless tires: get a motorcycle tubless tire repair kit, a tiny bicycle pump, and a tire inflator that uses 12g CO2 carts. Use the CO2 cart to seat the bead and you'll be set if you have to pull a tire off to repair a hole. Worked great while out and about on my motorbike and weighs less than a spare tube!

We carry the CO2 inflators and patch kits on our web store. Or you can get them at any decent bike shop.

Do those CO2 inflators have enough volume to inflate an aricraft tire to 25 psi?

Brian

For a tubeless setup I only use them to seat the bead then use a handpump to get it to operating pressure. I use this adapter that doesn't have a valve so once you break the 12g seal it dumps in all at once which works perfectly for bead seating.

Back