What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door Seal Question

josnooze

Sponsor
I am in the process of fitting the McMaster Carr door seals using the technique of filling a sacrificial seal with epoxy/flox and fitting it to the sanded down door jam and making custom "mount" for the seal. My question is, when putting the new seal on permanently, do you need any sort of adhesive or just let the regular grip of the seal itself to hold it in place?

I agree with Bill and it is for that reason that I glued them on at final assembly after paint.

Mine aren’t glue onto the cabin cover. After ten years of flying they’re just fine. I’ve never experienced somebody grabbing them and pulling them off.

Make sure the you have the version of the seal that has the barbs on the cockpit side. If they are on the outside, it will make the door harder to shut. They do come in both versions and I’ve seen both on RV-10s.

After cutting the gutter off the cabin cover, you do need to build the edge thickness back up with a few strips of fiberglass. This not only adds a bit of strength it gives a better fit for the edging.

Shoe goo E6000

It has been a while but I believe that is what I used.
In case you are pondering the next move as Bob Leffler pointed out, you need to do something about the bottom lip.
Different options are out there, here is what I did:
Piece of solid maple hardwood, trimmed to fit precisely alongside the bottom lip.
in case you are wondering how I carved that stick... "whittle by whittle":D

Attachments

• image_67181057.jpg
    image_67181057.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 163
  • image_67197953.jpg
    image_67197953.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 134
Back