What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Overhead lights

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
I do quite a bit of night flying and would like to avoid wearing a headlamp in the RV-10. I'm working on the overhead console from Aerosport and am about ready to glue and glass it in.

From some research it seems you can attach lighting to the overhead access panels fairly easily. Then does the wiring go out the front of the overhead console and down the center cabin brace?

Also what are some lights that people have been successful with? Initially I'm thinking 4 of those white LEDs from Vans and then in the front two Red positional map lights. Is that the typical route?

I have my wiring for the overhead light going forward through small grommets and into the center post. Doing this will show about 2" of exposed wiring. To make it look not quite as bad as bare wires, I used black heat shrink in the exposed area. Looks fine to me. For a completely hidden method, you can get some idea's by looking at Ed's website on how he integrated his console to the center post.

I have the Aveo Eyebeam Touch. It's pretty neat, but I haven't put it to the test yet. I have it installed between the two vent locations. It fits nicely in the space there.

I'm not overly worried about the exposed wire out the front. Since I'm going with a VPX I would think that would be the easiest as opposed to running out the back and then up front. Should probably see how those connections to that would work.

I looked at those Aveo Eyebeams, someone on Spruce mentioned theirs quit working after short use.

I used the following and though not flying yet, it seems to light up the panel and cabin very nicely. Ran all wires out the front of the console and down the center post. I'm going to have my wife use her crafty powers to make some kind of velcro-attachable fabric cover for the exposed area.

Red light strip along the underside of the glare shield:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/st/manu_crazedpilot/ledcockpitred.php

Red/white aim-able LEDs over pilot and co-pilot. White is switched from panel. Red is switched individually.
http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/item/all-categories/ories-aircraft-lighting-oplite-oplite-6-dual-color/op6-w-r12?plpver=10

Two white LEDs over rear passenger area and two white in baggage area switched from panel. And 1 Blue LED individually switched over each rear passenger.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/LEDUnderpanel.php?clickkey=3007988

Last few pics show my installation with the lights on.
https://520lw.wordpress.com/2016/09/07/panel-complete-and-other-stuff/

Last edited:
Joe- Thanks for the input and links. My plan is to have all black-lite switches so going to forego anything under the glare shield. However I'm going to go with those 4 white LEDs for the cabin and 2 of those red post lights you linked. This should be enough illumination when I need it.

I'm going cheap in the baggage area and just going to get a battery powered stick on LED light for the times I need it.

Thanks again

You do get a lot of light from the EFIS panels. The black swivel eyeballs work okay too. Suggest one bright interior light also (no dimmer), for baggage rummaging and finding dropped stuff.

I'm not overly worried about the exposed wire out the front. Since I'm going with a VPX I would think that would be the easiest as opposed to running out the back and then up front. Should probably see how those connections to that would work.

I looked at those Aveo Eyebeams, someone on Spruce mentioned theirs quit working after short use.

For wiring runs, I glassed conduit into the "A pillars" of the cabin top, and ran all my overhead wiring down those. Worked great. The only thing in my centerpost is antenna coax. If your cabin top isn't mounted yet, it might be something to consider (although I have a lot of stuff in my overhead)

For lighting, I have a little of everything. For my main overhead lights, I have the LED panels from PlaneAround. They are fantastic, but I don't think Sean is making them anymore.

I have a pair of the Aveo Eyebeams (the Touch ones). I wouldn't buy them again. They are overpriced, and are only "OK". I don't think they are any better than some of the MUCH cheaper solutions.

I also have a number of the small cheap "4 led" lights that Stein and Spruce sells. Like these: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/LEDUnderpanel.php?clickkey=3007988
I also do NOT recommend these, as I have a few of them with one or two of the LEDs burned out already :mad:

Ed,

Thanks for the info. What problems other than price do you have with the Aveo Eyebeams? I am looking for eyeball type lights similar to these to go into my overhead console and the Aveo are the closest I have found so far. I like the idea of both red and white LEDs in a single unit, but I could do without the touch dimmer.

Any other overhead lights you would recommend?

Thanks
Dave M.

I also have a number of the small cheap "4 led" lights that Stein and Spruce sells. Like these: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/LEDUnderpanel.php?clickkey=3007988
I also do NOT recommend these, as I have a few of them with one or two of the LEDs burned out already :mad:

Well there goes that idea then. The thought of LEDs burning out that quick doesn't sit well with me. I may end up just with those post type lights then. I can do the 4 led white in the back and the 6 led white/black in the front and have the switch and dimmer on the panel.

I may try to glass in some conduit like you did. I have some extra and I want to bulk out that area a bit. We'll see.

You can get quite a bit of wiring in the windshield brace if you finesse the openings a little. Mostly small wire for this stuff. My last one had 2 gps, 1 RG400, overhead lights, and rear ICS jacks in the pipe. My new one has almost the same. Figure out what you need first and see if that bundle will fit in the pipe before you try something harder. Save yourself some hours.

Ed,

Thanks for the info. What problems other than price do you have with the Aveo Eyebeams? I am looking for eyeball type lights similar to these to go into my overhead console and the Aveo are the closest I have found so far. I like the idea of both red and white LEDs in a single unit, but I could do without the touch dimmer.

Any other overhead lights you would recommend?

Thanks
Dave M.

No other recommendations, as I'm kinda stuck with the Aveos for now.

My two complaints (beyond cost) are:

1 - The touch controls aren't very responsive. I just don't like the way they feel.

2 - When you turn them on, they default to white. You have to switch them to red AFTER they are turned on. So you get a nice blast of white light before you can switch them to red and dim them... and then wait for your night-vision to come back.

Well there goes that idea then. The thought of LEDs burning out that quick doesn't sit well with me. I may end up just with those post type lights then. I can do the 4 led white in the back and the 6 led white/black in the front and have the switch and dimmer on the panel.

I may try to glass in some conduit like you did. I have some extra and I want to bulk out that area a bit. We'll see.

The first ones burned out before the first flight. It's annoying, but it's not a huge deal to switch them out at some point in time. I did have the foresight to build connectors for the LEDs with d-sub pins and shrinkwrap, and of course left enough of a service loop in the wire to pull them out.

home made lights

I found some LED reading lights at IKEA that had an aluminum body with mounting screws around the flange and a removable clear polycarbonate lens. I used 4 of them. I replaced the LED in one of them to red so I can use that at night.

They are driven by Meanwell LDD-350LW drivers, which are around $5 each. I tried a bunch of other drivers, some are putting out RFI even a hundred feet away. The Meanwell ones are awesome. No radio noise at all. I use them for my Nav lights too.
Cheap, nice looking, and plenty of light.

Lenny

overheadleds_off.png

overheadleds_on.png

Last edited:
I made these out of cheap clip-on LED battery powered lights. I cut off the battery and clip, replaced the LEDs with the ones I wanted (the housing was the key part). Done.

I may have spent $10.

The lights can be directed but stay where you put them. Plenty bright so they need to be on a dimmer.

Carl
DSC01698.jpg

Are there any vendors that make cabin cover liners with just lights? I've looked at a few, like Aerosport and South Florida, and I think they all have vents overhead. I'm really not interested in cutting NACA scoops in the roof so water funnels into laps in IFR conditions. Just looking for a pretty liner that has a variety of reading and night lights, and maybe a small map / sunglass slot or something.

Are there any vendors that make cabin cover liners with just lights? I've looked at a few, like Aerosport and South Florida, and I think they all have vents overhead. I'm really not interested in cutting NACA scoops in the roof so water funnels into laps in IFR conditions. Just looking for a pretty liner that has a variety of reading and night lights, and maybe a small map / sunglass slot or something.

I put in a cabin roof liner on my first RV-10 aft of the doors. I consider this one of my bigger mistakes. They just do not last, especially in the Florida sun.

The new RV-10 will have to cabin roof prepped and painted the same color as the rest of the interior.

Carl

You don't have to install vents if you don't want to. My father built the plane with an Aerosport overhead console and didn't plumb any overhead air. He installed these eyeball lights in the locations that vents would commonly go.

The lights he installed seem to pivot somewhat loosely, so I'm looking at replacement options. I'm also considering installing rear NACA vents and plumbing air to the overhead, so I'd need vents in those locations.

I would think the pressure differential at the NACA vent would prevent water from being drawn into the ducts, but I could be wrong.

Overhead Front.jpg

Overhead Light 2.jpg

Overhead Lights 3.jpg

You don't have to install vents if you don't want to. My father built the plane with an Aerosport overhead console and didn't plumb any overhead air. He installed these eyeball lights in the locations that vents would commonly go.

[Slaps forehead]. Duh. I should have thought of that! Just pop out the vents and find a light that fits. So logical! Thanks!

Or mount a light or lights in the aluminum close out panel in the overhead console. That way, you’re not as constrained in choosing your lights.

I'm really not interested in cutting NACA scoops in the roof so water funnels into laps in IFR conditions.

I'm not sure I understand this...I don't think I've ever seen one with NACA vents in the roof. My understanding is the usual practice (as I plan to do) is to install NACA vents in the tail cone and duct the vents so as to pressurize the overhead console as a plenum and use the vents to control flow into the passenger area. My plan is to put a drain in the duct at a low point so that any moisture that enters the NACA vents will separate out and be removed before the air gets to the overhead plenum.

I have two flexible LED map lights mounted on each side of the panel. Red aviation color. Nice because it can light up panel switches, be a map light, etc. you can get it at Amazon or EBay.

I have a puck type light mounted on the cabin top where the center support bar attaches to the cabin top. Red and White light option switch. Ran the wire up the support tube. Found that at …superbrightled.com

Here is the flex panel mount map light……

PilotLights Mini Gooseneck Panel Light with SWITCH, Map Light, Post Light - 140mm - RED LED, 12VDC

I'm thinking of using these and the price is right compared to others out there.

http://cockpitlights.com/cockpitlights.html

Keith

I have the MOD-1 cockpit lights in the overhead and I find them perfect for night flight. They produce a dim light that does not need to be dimmed. They are great in flight since they do not produce much light, but if you want to light the cockpit for loading and unloading on the ground, they don't work well, since they are not very bright.

Attachments

• 321_David_Hoffman_Products_003_800x600_640x480_.jpg
    321_David_Hoffman_Products_003_800x600_640x480_.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 72
I have the MOD-1 cockpit lights in the overhead and I find them perfect for night flight. They produce a dim light that does not need to be dimmed. They are great in flight since they do not produce much light, but if you want to light the cockpit for loading and unloading on the ground, they don't work well, since they are not very bright.

That’s perfect as I am using the Plane Around LEDs for the general cockpit lighting. Thanks for the Pirep!

Keith

Any thoughts on how the MOD-1 cockpit lights would work as footwell lights? "Not very bright" is subjective.

They would fit well where we'd like to mount them. Just not sure if the light output would work well in this application.

I'm using Aveo lights for this: the Eyebeam RGBW for the front, Eyebeam Mini for the rear seats, and an Eyebeam Dome for the baggage compartment. They're working well so far.

Back