- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:56 PM

Default vinyl wrap

Anyone know of any vinyl wrap companies that are still wrapping planes? I searched the forums and called/emailed all of the named companies and yet to hear one response. Looking to get a quote on my RV8. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Flash
Old 10-05-2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Anyone know of any vinyl wrap companies that are still wrapping planes? I searched the forums and called/emailed all of the named companies and yet to hear one response. Looking to get a quote on my RV8. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Flash
Maybe consider doing it yourself? Even if you have to replace a few pieces, thatís cheaper than hiring someone. There are lots of threads here and videos on YouTube about how to do it.

Iím planning to use vinyl. Never did it before. But I also never riveted before. Or sanded carbon fiber. So, lots of new skills to learn!
Hoping to fly in August 2022

N1814T reserved with FAA
Donated Jan 4 for 2022
EAA and AOPA member
Old 10-06-2020, 04:22 AM

Default I know a guy

My next door hangar neighbor does wraps, although he doesn't do a bunch. His business is more signs and logos, ect. I saw a -9A he did with 100% 3 color coverage here in NC that I had to double take on to validate it was vinyl. He also trimmed out his Zenith and several RV's. Really looks good, wheel pants and all. I could probably get you in touch with him about details if your interested.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnflyguy View Post
My next door hangar neighbor does wraps, although he doesn't do a bunch. His business is more signs and logos, ect. I saw a -9A he did with 100% 3 color coverage here in NC that I had to double take on to validate it was vinyl. He also trimmed out his Zenith and several RV's. Really looks good, wheel pants and all. I could probably get you in touch with him about details if your interested.
Thanks for the offer! PM sent
Old 10-06-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineYoda View Post
Maybe consider doing it yourself? Even if you have to replace a few pieces, thatís cheaper than hiring someone. There are lots of threads here and videos on YouTube about how to do it.

Iím planning to use vinyl. Never did it before. But I also never riveted before. Or sanded carbon fiber. So, lots of new skills to learn!
Thanks, I am looking into it. Not 100% sure I want to do vinyl so was looking for quotes to see the overall cost.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineYoda View Post

As someone who has worked in the sign industry and helped wrap my fair share of vehicles and race cars, I definitely don't recommend installing it yourself, especially considering all the curved and sloping surfaces on an airplane. You'll end up with tons of wrinkles, ruined vinyl, or both. Even with my experience I wouldn't wrap my own plane.

I'm not saying builders aren't capable of wrapping their own plane, but it'd be incredibly easy to spot the differences in that and a professional job. Some things are worth the additional cost and it's still saving you tons over professional paint.
Exemption waived, 2022 donation made
Old 01-13-2022, 03:32 PM

Default FAA rules on wrapping

I'm getting some quote locally to get my RV-12 wrapped I'm currently building and the wrapper told me the FAA requires they use 3M and he can't even buy it so they won't do it. That sounds off to me reading this thread - anyone have any specifics on what's allowed/not allowed in terms of wraps for and E-LSA?

I'm thinking maybe he's referencing wraps for certified planes - doubt they're experts since this is all usually pretty complicated.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2022, 08:03 PM

How do you know that the wrap is lighter than paint? I would love to know what vinyl actually weighs.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconard27 View Post
How do you know that the wrap is lighter than paint? I would love to know what vinyl actually weighs.
The specs for it are on the 3M site... Google for 3M 1080, and you should find the weight per square foot or square meter somewhere. I think the OP said how much he used, so that times the weight/area should tell you what it weighs.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:38 AM

Default Vinyl wrap

Just had the unpainted portion of my RV6A wrapped. My painter said it looks better than silver paint would have. You may need to find someone that does vehicles and be their first. I was their second. I havenít flown it yet as I am changing over from EFII to the new system 32 upgrade, doing conditions inspection and I wasted unneeded effort of removing flight controls.
M71-Greensfield, MO near St. Louis
USMC combat exempt but dues gladly paid April 2021