What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USB Adapter

Freakshow108

Well Known Member
Can anyone help me with one of these? Or tell what adapter type it is so I can purchase one. Thanks. Side note, I purchased the radio, a GNC 255, from a third party and they do not have the connector.

Attachments

• BB42F427-D782-42A3-8CB2-B42956B5BBF2.png
    BB42F427-D782-42A3-8CB2-B42956B5BBF2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 227
If i read it correctly its a 2.0

The USB connector landscape is a mess and USB adapters can be difficult. Most likely Mini B, Micro B, or maybe Type C if a more recent device. Maybe type A, but then you wouldn't need an adapter. My Avidyne just plugs the flash drive right into the front panel.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 7.01.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 7.01.25 PM.png
    580.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Good to know

This is the connector on the radio. Thanks for the added info. Should make my buying experience a little easier.

Attachments

• 5E9DBE55-8493-46F4-80D2-9B8CF67CD374.jpg
    5E9DBE55-8493-46F4-80D2-9B8CF67CD374.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 248
Not sure it's a C, USB C has two rows of pins.

Amazing that none of the Garmin literature that I can find gives the type of connector on the front. Aircraft spruce has an interface cable that it states is Micro A and fits the GNC 255A. Pics of micro A connectors look correct.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/garmin_11-19213.php

Before you spend any money, if your household is anything like mine you have about two dozen cables laying around with various types of connectors on the end. Chances are you already have a cable that fits (unless you're an Apple household in which case all bets are off).

It's a standard USB (Micro) A 2.0. USB-C is is oval.

The picture depicts a rectangular port and the manual states "USB 2.0."

Port.jpg

USB P.jpg

Last edited:
My interpretation of the text was that the flash drive should be USB 2.0 compatible, meaning that it supports the higher-speed 480Mbps 2.0 specification and can keep up with the data transfer rates that the radio wants. USB 2.0 can imply either a micro A or micro B connector.

The original USB 2.0 spec specified mini A & B connectors; the later revised 2.0 spec added micro A & B. While this is all rather pedantic, my point is that you can't necessarily depend on your cable end matching the stated spec -manufacturers will do whatever they do.

With all that being said, we agree that this looks like a micro A connector.

These cables are commmonly referred to as USB-OTG (on-the-go) cables. It's a fairly standard Micro USB B port on the Garmin.

Like this here - hope it's allowed to post links to Amazon?
https://www.amazon.de/Premium-Cord-USB-Adapterkabel-USB-Buchse/dp/B07HY5KSCL

On the other hand, you could find a USB-Stick with a Micro-USB port...

Edit: Now i've looked a bit closer, i would say it is indeed a Micro-AB-receptacle, it will also accept a micro A plug but those are hard to find. I've used the Micro-B connectors for updates on the GNC255 and they work.

Last edited:
UPDATE

USB cable is a moot point. I just heard from G3Xpert, seems that the updates can only be loaded through an authorized dealer. Luckily we have one on our field. Thanks to everyone for your input!!

USB cable is a moot point. I just heard from G3Xpert, seems that the updates can only be loaded through an authorized dealer. Luckily we have one on our field. Thanks to everyone for your input!!
If you want to update SW on the GNC255 that's probably true. Frequency database updates are possible though.

My Avidyne IFD440 has a USB-A port on the front for both map updates as well as system software updates. Anyone can access that port for map updates, but software updates are (supposedly) only available to people with Experimental airplanes. Maybe Garmin works the same way.

Back