What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eyeball vent issue

Bill Boyd

Well Known Member
I'll be looking at the latest squawk this weekend - my pax reported their eyeball panel vent wouldn't work. They tried Turing the collar and no joy. Tried poking the shutter vanes open with a pinkie without success - would open then close again under air flow pressure. Appears to be disconnected internally. This is one of the high quality $$$$$ black anodized vents from an outside vendor I've since forgotten. Either Stein or Advanced Flight, I'm guessing.

I forgot about the issue until now (it's not on my side of the cockpit so not my problem LOL). Anything I should be aware of as to failure modes on these things?

Best pic I have of the buggers is attached.

Attachments

• IMG_2639.jpg
    IMG_2639.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 272
Pin?

Bill,

I've seen cases where the pivot pin becomes dislodged and falls out. Find pin, apply a little super glue (pro seal??) to the end and insert it back into the hole that's drilled into the center of the valve flapper.

Thanks!

That's the first thing I'll check.

At least I have an operational one on my side to do some comparisons with.

I have a similar issue

I have the same setup as you in my RV10. This may not work in your case, but in mine if I put inward pressure on the collar as I turn it, the vent opens and closes fine, otherwise it doesn’t.

Worth a try…

Back