What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heat Muff Supplier

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
Publicly thanking Dave Edwards in Vegas for making me a really nice custom heat muff. He’s the guy that contracts with Acft Spruce to make the heat muffs.

Unbeknownst to me Vetterman changed the design of the exhaust system for my engine and my old heat muff that was on the aft crossover didn’t work. The new design requires the heat muff to be installed on the front of the #1 exhaust pipe. I think I see why they did it, the exhaust is more streamlined with smother out flow so I’m sure I’ll see 50 more HP!! :)

I had a custom heat muff I wanted for scat tube routing and he made it to my specifications exactly. Really nicely done! If you need a heat muff he can custom weld to your specs. I think the billing is done through Acft Spruce but you can discuss what you need with him directly:

Dave Edwards at 702-306-3590 or email him at [email protected]

Last edited:
Adding my appreciation for Dave Edwards also, I ordered a custom muff through Aircraft Spruce and Dave contacted me directly via email to confirm my requirements. Over the course of several emails with advice and suggestions Dave sent a beautifully made cockpit heat muff along with a similar carb heat muff. Both excellent robust products that, (I believe) will last the life of the aircraft.
Great service that goes over and above.

Russell

Photos please

Can you guys show a couple of photos showing the design and construction?

Edit: Thanks for the photos!

Last edited:
These are a little heavier than the Van's offerings (which I did initially fit). I didn't weight them, but none of those end caps with the tiny threaded rod and nuts. They do attach with two clamps....

Russell

Attachments

• IMG_5033a.jpg
    IMG_5033a.jpg
    628.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_5035a.jpg
    IMG_5035a.jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 213
These are a little heavier than the Van's offerings (which I did initially fit). I didn't weight them, but none of those end caps with the tiny threaded rod and nuts. They do attach with two clamps....

Russell

I am not familiar with this type of muff. What is the theory with the first muff with the holes in it?

Yes, carb heat, replacing the Van's supplied.

Attachments

• IMG_5015.jpg
    IMG_5015.jpg
    951.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_5075.jpg
    IMG_5075.jpg
    892.8 KB · Views: 183
I too can attest to the quality and service that Dave puts into these heat muffs. I purchased a -4 with one and it works awesome! I believe Scrappy has one or two and gave a glowing review on YT.

Back