What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Storing a canopy before installation?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I've just found out that the canopy for my -8 is likely to be delivered around the beginning of December. I live in cold country outside Salt Lake. After an initial inspection to check for damage from shipping, the canopy will have to be stored until the build gets there. Certainly through the winter, so is mere cold, let's say teens to zero Fahrenheit, a danger to a well protected canopy still in crate?

My canopy was stored in the original box for almost two years in an unheated garage with no adverse affects in a cold climate.

AND the finished canopy has been stored away in the same box since last spring...although I haven't looked in the box since then.

Sounds hopeful. I realized that the hanger will be unheated eventually, so maybe I'm not endangering the canopy, so much as getting it acclimated to it's new home.

Storing canopy

Mine was stored in the Finishing crate in the hangar. Quite a while. Extreme conditions in Colorado. Make sure it's not under any stress.

Want to add a canopy to a sub-kit order that's ready

How about having a canopy shipped in the winter? Outdoor temps can be as low as 0F but I'd imagine in the box it prob won't get quite as cold inside a transport trailer and warehouse... Anybody experience issues with this?

Back