What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Key Switch

todehnal

Well Known Member
I found the Key Switch loose on my panel. If anyone has been there and knows the best way to get to the key switch nut, please advise. Not sure if I can get there by removing the Skyview, taking off the avionics cover, or if I will need to remove with switch module. I would like to use the simplest approach Thanks.....Tom

I found the Key Switch loose on my panel. If anyone has been there and knows the best way to get to the key switch nut, please advise. Not sure if I can get there by removing the Skyview, taking off the avionics cover, or if I will need to remove with switch module. I would like to use the simplest approach Thanks.....Tom

Tom,
If you switch is like mine, the nut is on on the cockpit side of the panel, not the back side. See this pic of Aircraft Spruce key switch. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/igswitches8.php#productMainImage

Yours may be different (??), but if not, it's easy access from the front. I think there is a "cover" you unscrew first, then you will see the nut.

Randy

You have missed the fact that this is a legacy RV-12 with Van's supplied circuit board housing fuses, switches, etc.

I'm pretty sure you will not only have to remove the instrument bay cover but also the circuit board itself to gain access to the nut on the back side.

Sorry for bad news...

Hi Randy. Nope, the RV-12 key switch nut is behind the panel, and it looks like it may be a challenge to get to in order to tighten it. But, we have some pretty resourceful RV-12 guys and I'm sure that someone will have a good suggestion.
Thanks anyway............Tom

It's always something Gilda...
-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 8.31.50 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 8.31.50 AM.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 8.43.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 8.43.20 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 8.43.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 8.43.30 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 143

If you actually have a Skyview system (some seem to think you might have the legacy D-180 system) is would be very easy to get access to the nut.

Remove 4 screws to remove the screen.
Remove 4 screws to unmount the AV-50002 Ign Switch module from the panel.
Remove the D-sub connector from the module and pull it out.

Thanks Scott. It is a Skyview panel, and I appreciate your detailed description of the necessary steps to gain access to the key switch nut. Sounds like a pretty simple job to me..........Tom

Back