What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Trailing Edge

Staunch111

Well Known Member
Quick question for the collective. What effect is there on a control surfac where the trailing edge (top) is perfect but the bottom is overbent. Vans provides guidance in rectifiying 'over squeezed' control surfaces using a block and mallet. If used in this scenario, would it not result in un-squeezing the bottom surface but then creatign a bulge on the top surface.

Can anyone advise what the flying characteristic is for an over squeezing bottom trailing edge on (1) elevators, and (2) wing. For the latter, does this also create a heavy wing?

Thanks in advance.

My 6 was pretty pitch sensitive. When I started my IFR training in the 6, this was one of the things that was challenging, as it is all hand flying to relatively tight tolerances (CFIIs are used to spam cans and don't understand how sensitive our planes are). My Elev trailing edges were over bent (orig kit builder). I spent some time with a squeezer and hammer / wood block and got the skins to lay flat like they are supposed to. It made a noticeable reduction in pitch sensitivity.

I believe both top and bottom skins were concave. Can't speak to dealing with just one concave. That said, in skilled hands any piece of metal can be shaped into almost anything. I am guessing that massaging the rounded edge will mostly relieve the concave skin without creating convex on the other. Care in what angle you use the block can probably influence which skin is most affected.

Larry

Last edited:
Back