What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aeroshell-22 in tube

coffeeguy

Well Known Member
I'm at the point where I'm going to put my wheels together and grease the bearings. The Grove manual calls for Aeroshell-22 or Mobil 28. I can find Aeroshell in a tube for pretty cheap, relatively and would last for a while. A can is too much and would expire in 3 years.

Question is - if I buy the tube and want to pack the bearings by hand how do you get the grease out the tube? grease gun into your hand?? One of the silly questions that's obvious, I guess, if you've done it before.

Grease gun into your hand or just scoop it out of the end after removing the plastic cap (don't remove the pop top until you want to put in into a grease gun.

Two routes: by hand, use a plastic knife to get the grease out of the plastic cap end of a tube. Or buy a grease bearing packer which uses the grease gun. I use the bearing packer. A mess to clean afterwards, but what grease job isn’t. Most of the auto stores sell them for less than $10. Ben

Last edited:
A can is too much and would expire in 3 years.

FYI, something I ran across a few days ago while searching for Aeroshell grease info. According to this doc on Aeroshell website:

https://www.shell.com/business-cust...da955d588ce5/theaeroshellbook-edition2021.pdf

"All AeroShell greases have a maximum shelf life of 6 years, no retest is required."

Also found Aircraft Spruce seems to be out of stock of all Aeroshell greases until January. I managed to chase down a tube of Aeroshell 22 on Amazon. Off to repack my wheel bearings......

Two routes: by hand, use a plastic knife to get the grease out of the plastic cap end of a tube. Or buy a grease bearing packer which uses the grease gun. I use the bearing packer. A mess to clean afterwards, but what grease job isn’t. Most of the auto stores sell them for less than $10. Ben

Hey Ben, I got this one for 20 bucks.. no mess at all! I can’t believe I’ve been doing them by hand all this time. You dump the grease in. Place the bearing between the cones and push down. No gun required!

Attachments

• 565DD3C1-9BB8-4F73-B1CE-712DAF904630.jpg
    565DD3C1-9BB8-4F73-B1CE-712DAF904630.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 193
Hey Ben, I got this one for 20 bucks.. no mess at all! I can’t believe I’ve been doing them by hand all this time. You dump the grease in. Place the bearing between the cones and push down. No gun required!

+1 on that. Been using it for years. Has a zerk fitting to refill right from grease gun.

Back