What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are these resistors?

dwranda

Well Known Member
I admittedly know nothing about diodes and resistors. I need to put 30k resistors in the wires to the pmag. I spoke with Advanced and I think these are what he was describing. Before i wire these up I thought I'd get a second opinion using a pic to reassure myself. Are these the 30k resistors he is talking about?
20211029-160609.jpg

Last edited:
Resistors

Definately resistors but colors are difficult to read from the photo. Quick search will return color codes.
Power also matters.

Definitely resistors --

The colored bands you're looking for are:

ORANGE, BLACK, BLACK, RED (300 x 100) --- 30K

BROWN is the tolerance, 1% (29700 Ohm to 30300 Ohm)

Given the size, I'd say they're pretty low wattage, ~1/2W...ish...

Do you have a multimeter? It'll come in handy down the road...

Edit: fun web tool to calculate 4,5,6 band color codes and resulting "image" -- https://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/resistorcalculator.php

Last edited:
Use your multimeter to measure them. To me the wattage looks more like 1/4W but its hard to tell the physical size from the pic.

meant in a good way

Please take no offense at my comments. It is meant in the best possible spirit of advice.
Not having come across a resistor before is not unusual. But, in your case you are wiring avionics (solo) for an aircraft. There are myriad details that might be involved. Truly myriad.
My suggestion is to ask for a second set of eyes on your work. Not unlike supervised maintenance by an A/P.
Double checking the wiring plan prints, wire marking, bundling, crimps, etc. will all be important topics.
If you even have to pay someone a few hours labor, it will be well worth it. Bob Nuchols book is often mentioned as a resource.
Best of luck and don't hesitate to come back here often with specifics.... there are quick and experienced members here daily. Cheers

Radio repair

Been a while but I recently had to perform some elective surgery on my 2m/70cm handie talkie. Many years ago, it was my job. They really buried the maintain battery!
20211025_105940.jpg

This is the reason I went with the Advanced quick panel. I've never done anything like this before so having the harnesses made for me along with wiring schematics is a huge help. Understanding wire gauges and attaching connectors is easy, but I think transistors and diodes are a next level course that I'm still enrolled in.:D

I can't tell the color banding from the pics, but these resistors appear to be the same ones that came with my Dynon installation kit (many moons ago). Not sure the difference between Dynon and Advanced, but Dynon requires a resistor between each standard mag and control head for tach signal. When I changed to a single P-Mag, I removed the resistor as it is not required per the P-Mag documentation. Might want to check with Brad at P-Mag to verify, but my setup works as advertised.

from the pic i would guess 1/4 at best. I have not read the P-mag manual, but for that application i would guess that 1/4 watt would be just fine.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Don't worry about the the wattage in this application.
A 30K ohm resistor is not even going to get warm, let alone hot.
Ignore the colored bands and measure the resistance with an ohmmeter.
Plus or minus 5 percent is OK in this situation.
It is a good practice to verify that a part is good before installing it.

Back