What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Waiting for kit. Pretty excited. Tools to collect

BrianP

My son and I are pretty excited about our upcoming RV10 build. Is there a post somewhere where someone has compiled a list of needed tools to complete the build? Also, is there a list of stuff that you need that doesn’t come with the kit (I know the engine, interior, avionics don’t come but how about things like wiring, rivets, tires, lights etc?)

Thanks

Tools

My son and I are pretty excited about our upcoming RV10 build. Is there a post somewhere where someone has compiled a list of needed tools to complete the build? Also, is there a list of stuff that you need that doesn’t come with the kit (I knowsic the engine, interior, avionics don’t come but how about things like wiring, rivets, tires, lights etc?)

Thanks

Check my blog, below
There's a link to a Basic Builder Log. One tab is every tool I own. Pretty good start.
Ask for a packing list before placing orders on subsequent kits. It will tell you exactly what's in the kit. You can make decisions to add, delete or buy from another supplier.
Brakes, wheels, tires are in the Finishing kit unless you want an upgrade like Beringer
Wire, lights do not.

Last edited:
Welcome Aboard, Brian!

Mike will be along shortly with his official welcome. :)

The major advertisers (Cleaveland, Brown, Isham, other?) on this site are good sources for tools and (I think) have starter kits available. They are all good folks and you'll not go wrong there.

I'd recommend you take a sheet metal class somewhere before purchasing tools. They are available through the EAA and others (Synergy Air comes to mind). Learn what they have, how the tools are used, and what you are comfortable using. Then begin hunting.

I'd also recommend you find someone in your area who is currently building, or has built, and hang out for a while. Folks in this world tend to be evangelical, you and your son will be welcome.

You don't need the best of everything although it's cool to have it (I've got some fancy stuff, some Harbor Freight).

Enjoy the journey!
Mike

My son and I are pretty excited about our upcoming RV10 build. Is there a post somewhere where someone has compiled a list of needed tools to complete the build? Also, is there a list of stuff that you need that doesn’t come with the kit (I know the engine, interior, avionics don’t come but how about things like wiring, rivets, tires, lights etc?)

Thanks

Welcome to the madness!
Tools are very subjective. For certain, an air compressor, rivet gun, bucking bars are needed. I also had a pneumatic rivet squeezer and loved it, but would not say it was necessary. Some will say a band saw is a ‘must have’, but I put my QB 10 together without one. Two torque wrenches (one inch-lbs, one foot-lbs) are needed.
Stuff not included with the kits: engine (and accessories like alternator (if you are thinking electronic ignition do you need two?) and, if desired, air conditioning), prop, prop governor, interior, paint (inside and out), no wiring, circuit breakers, lights, avionics. Tires, tubes, brakes are included. Nuts, bolts, rivets are included. But most builders stock some spares/extras (everyone makes mistakes). Things not included: ‘opps’ rivets for the occasional mistake; special very small countersunk head AN3 rivets make for much nicer nutplate installations (I forget the actual part number).

Things not included: ‘opps’ rivets for the occasional mistake; special very small countersunk head AN3 rivets make for much nicer nutplate installations (I forget the actual part number).

Those are NAS1097 rivets. Aircraft Spruce sells a kit which includes both AD4 size ("oops" for a ruined AD3 hole) and AD3 size (small heads for the nutplates).

Back