What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

912ULS Air Filter

Crbunt

Am I missing something on these air filters? $94 for an air filter! 825551 is the part number and amazingly enough all the sources I've found are the same price. Just curious if anyone has any input and if I'm just being a cheapa**.
thanks
Rick

K&N air filters can be cleaned and re-oiled. They sell a kit for this....
So they are K&N? No markings on them as such and I couldn't find a cross reference on K&N site. Do they have a finite lifespan or are they good as long as they are physically intact? Mine are over 10 years old now and I wasn't sure if I should be looking for replacements.
Thanks

Rick
What other sources have you found? I was checking with Vans for a replacement and they said it was a Rotax part and to contact Lockwood. Lockwood p/n SP2704 and yes $94. If I replace mine I’m considering a K&N about half the size my hangar mate uses on his Kitfox with a 912ULS p/n R-1060. Not sure the Lockwood price. I just liked the smaller size.

I would caution on smaller size. Air filter needs to free-flow air per engine displacement and operating RPM...

No oiling on KN air filters

Correct me if wrong , Rotax says not to oil the KN air filters. They appear to last a long time ,I just blow of with air. Yes I know I oiled the KN s on my Lycoming

Correct me if wrong , Rotax says not to oil the KN air filters. They appear to last a long time ,I just blow of with air. Yes I know I oiled the KN s on my Lycoming

Don't oil the K&N air filter on a new engine or first time air filter installation. It's been done at the factory.

DO oil it after cleaning it and before reinstalling.

They are K&N filters.
The are custom made to Rotax's requirements by K&N under contract, so that is why they are only available from Rotax parts dealers.

They are re-oilable just like all other K&N filters. The recharge kit sold by Van's can be used to service the filters.

They do not have an infinite life span but if properly cared for can last for many years.

Do not ever clean them with an air nozzle. The filter media is natural cotton batting. High pressure air blows holes in the media which obviously degrades the filtering ability.

It is important to only clean and service them per K&N's instructions Including with the recharge kit or available on their web site. There are numerous things that can damage the filter (example - Using hot water to clean can shrink the cotton media just like a new 100% cotton tee shirt, which will then degrade the filtering ability).

Edit - The above is true for the 912ULS air filters.
I am not sure if the one we use on the RV-12iS is a contracted design or not, but all of the cleaning / servicing details are the same.

Last edited:
Scott is correct, see following from MMH_912 Series_ED3_M2 (Sept 2012):

Checking air filter
General note
BRP-Powertrain
MAINTENANCE MANUAL
In the event of dust formation, clean air filter at correspondingly shorter intervals. If filter mat is damaged, replace air filter.
A dirty filter insert will not only reduce the engine performance but might also promote premature wear of the engine.
Carry out visual inspection of air filter after prescribed maintenance inter- val. Clean dirty air filter as described in aircraft manufacturers Maintenance Manual.
2.1) General note
Cleaning
Cleaning the air filter
Never use gasoline, steam, caustic liquids, strong detergents, particle cleaning agents or high pressure cleaners during this step.
Do not dry over naked flame, with compressed air or with hot air gun.
To clean the air filter the following steps are necessary: See Fig. 1 and Fig. 2.
NOTES:
The procedure for cleaning air filter applies to the K&N style filter supplied by ROTAX (BRP-Powertrain) but may vary for filters used by aircraft manufacturer.
Step
Procedure
Lightly tap and brush off surface dirt (A).
Spray K&N filter cleaner onto filter surface and leave to soak for approx. 10 min. (B).
Rinse air filter with low pressure water from inside to outside and let element dry naturally (C).
. (Bold Mine)

After cleaning
Fig. 1 08525
Never use gear oil, diesel or engine oil, as they attract humidity.
NOTES: Each filter pleat must be sprayed with oil.
After 5 to 10 min. the filter will be soaked with oil, noticeable by the uniform red coloring.
. (Bold Mine)

Edit - The above is true for the 912ULS air filters.
I am not sure if the one we use on the RV-12iS is a contracted design or not, but all of the cleaning / servicing details are the same.

The iS uses a K&N RU-0800 filter.

Attachments

• 288A0EDB-4F75-4935-A92C-7BA81865BA7C.jpeg
    288A0EDB-4F75-4935-A92C-7BA81865BA7C.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 56
Back