What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fabricating F-01236A and F-01236B

FlyingDiver

Well Known Member
Page 21iS/U-17, Figures 2 and 3.

What's the preferred method for fabricating these parts? Both my benchtop bandsaw and grinder struggle with stock this thick. And the aluminum heats up really quickly. I haven't actually tried to do the long cuts yet, just separating the four pieces and cleaning up the ends to the right length has been a problem.

Maybe I need a finer tooth blade for the bandsaw? Recommended blades?

TIA

Aluminum, especially the gummy one like 6061-T6, generally likes large chips (therefore, larger teeth / lower TPI).

It's soft and gummy, so it clogs the tool, which increases heat, aluminum start to flow and clogs the tool even more. Large chips help with heat removal & reduces clogging.

Also, lubrication should help. Boelube or in (note -- hobby) machining we commonly use WD-40. I like cutting aluminum dry, though, less mess & also with lubrication sometimes tool clogs more because chips stick to the tool.

Sorry, it's kind of a general advice. What TPI blade do you have? I cut 0.125" angles with 12TPI hacksaw just fine (guiding the hacksaw close to the cut line is another story, though :) ). I don't have a bandsaw, so I don't know how much it relates to the manual hacksawing, in terms of the blade selection.

P.S. The grinder is the worst for the aluminum since chips clog the grinding disk making it to rub and heat instead of cut.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I trashed my grinder wheel. I ordered a dresser to clean it up.

I also ordered some new bandsaw blades. The one I have isn't a fine tooth, but I think it was just getting dull. Cheap original Harbor Freight blade. When I get the new blade I'll give it another try.

I have a large cutoff tool which does a good job on even the thicker aluminum bars. Makita corded.

I started with a hacksaw and quickly switched to a dremal & a small cutoff wheel - went through about 3 of them. Cleaned up the cuts to the line using a belt sander with 100 grit paper.

Back