What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Fit Test

Samuel T

I'm New Here
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I wanted to say I and ask about an RV-4 Fit Test, That is, I need to sit in an RV-4 and see if I fit the plane. I’ve been reading everything I can on the RV-4 and drooling over many pics and vids. I think I’m in love with the RV-4. The problem is I’ve never seen one in person and I’m not sure I’ll fit the plane. Would any of you with an RV-4, or do you know anyone wih an RV-4, in Arizona or southern New Mexico mind showing me your aircraft and allow me to climb in to test the fit. I would really appreciate it. All I can think about is getting an RV-4 as my next plane, but if the fit is not right I’d rather find out sooner than later. Thanks everyone. Be safe.

Your height/weight? I'm 6" and 185 and fit fine, however I did have to get a Halo/Clarity style headset as over head would painfully hit and scratch the canopy. If you're >6"2-3 and >220 or so things start getting difficult in a -4.

Fitz

Your height/weight? I'm 6" and 185 and fit fine, however I did have to get a Halo/Clarity style headset as over head would painfully hit and scratch the canopy. If you're >6"2-3 and >220 or so things start getting difficult in a -4.

Fitz

Height is not an issue. I’m well under 6’ but I m sitting at 245. I’ve read other posts and they all suggest just sitting in one to get the feel. Also, I’ve been flying my 182rg around for some time so I’m used to a large cockpit. I’ve never flown a tandem but think I’d really enjoy it.

Samuel, welcome aboard the good ship VAF :D

You stay safe out there too, thanks for you service.

Thanks for the welcome Mike. I always do my best to stay safe. Only have a year or so left then I’ll either retire to a fun little flying job or sell my 182rg and just have fun flying a new to me RV around.

Height is not an issue. I’m well under 6’ but I m sitting at 245. I’ve read other posts and they all suggest just sitting in one to get the feel. Also, I’ve been flying my 182rg around for some time so I’m used to a large cockpit. I’ve never flown a tandem but think I’d really enjoy it.

Yeah, it would be a little snug laterally for sure. Could work though!

I am 5' 10" and 255 63 years old and broad shoulders. I notice it more snug in winter when I have a coat on and limit my flights to no more than 2 hour hops on cross country as there is little wiggle room but never in my life have I had more fun flying a plane. The one thing with us heavier guys in a 4 is the the weight and CG for flying dual is a problem. Over gross is one thing but I will not fly it out of CG.

Would any of you with an RV-4, or do you know anyone wih an RV-4, in Arizona or southern New Mexico mind showing me your aircraft and allow me to climb in to test the fit.

I'm based at TCS and very happy to show you my long legged RV-4 and let you climb around in it. In fact, the ELT battery needs changed so you could experience crawling into the tail for the "full experience"!! :)

PM me if you like.

I flew a friend’s RV-4 when I was 5’10” and about 245 pounds. The only thing I found objectionable was the tilt of the seat. When I was that size, I liked to lean the seat back so my belly didn’t suffocate me. The seat on my friend’s 4 sat more upright than I would have liked. I’m sure it could’ve been modified to my liking, so I wouldn’t let my initial concerns keep me from buying one.

I'm based at TCS and very happy to show you my long legged RV-4 and let you climb around in it. In fact, the ELT battery needs changed so you could experience crawling into the tail for the "full experience"!! :)

PM me if you like.

That sounds great. Thank you for the offer. I sent you a PM but honestly not sure if it actually sent or not. Let me know and thanks again.

Back