What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Logbook entry wording Phase 1 and 2

ten4teg

Well Known Member
What is the correct logbook wording after completing Phase 1 and Phase 2 testing? Looking to purchase a RV12 and want to make sure it is entered correctly. Thanks

I finally found it

I finally found it:

“I certify that the prescribed flight test hours have been completed and the aircraft is controllable throughout its normal range of speeds and throughout all maneuvers to be executed, has no hazardous characteristics or design features, and is safe for operation. The following aircraft operating data has been demonstrated during the flight testing: speeds Vso ______, Vx ______, and Vy ______, and the weight ______, and CG location ______ at which they were obtained.”

Make sure you check the operating limitations of your specific aircraft. The verbiage for the phase 1 sign-off has changed slightly over the various policy revisions, so make sure what you write in your aircraft records matches what is actually in your operating limitations. Don't take the word of another builder or go by something you saw on the web. Check YOUR operating limitations and proceed as directed therein.

Make sure you check the operating limitations of your specific aircraft. The verbiage for the phase 1 sign-off has changed slightly over the various policy revisions, so make sure what you write in your aircraft records matches what is actually in your operating limitations. Don't take the word of another builder or go by something you saw on the web. Check YOUR operating limitations and proceed as directed therein.
I agree. My OP limits specify slightly different wording. "Upon Completion of phase 1 testing, compliance with 91.319(b) must be recorded in the maintenance records. The following or similar statement must be recorded in the maintenance records:

'I certify that the prescribed flight test has been completed and the aircraft is controllable throughout its normal range of speeds and throughout all maneuvers to be executed, has no hazardous operating characteristics or design features, and is safe for operation'"

Reentering Phase 1

Our RV 14A is about two years into flying and we'd like to reenter Phase 1 to do some aerobatics. How do we get back into Phase 1?

Thanks,
Cliff Brown
N1430R

Our RV 14A is about two years into flying and we'd like to reenter Phase 1 to do some aerobatics. How do we get back into Phase 1?
Thanks,
Cliff Brown
N1430R

A simple logbook entry stating that you are reentering phase and the reason.

Remember that once you reenter phase I, you must remain there for a minimum of 5 hrs. per your op lims.

Gotta love this forum. Worth every penny of the donation (and more). I found exactly what I needed in this thread. And I found it very quickly.

Phase 2 ??

What is the correct logbook wording after completing Phase 1 and Phase 2 testing? Looking to purchase a RV12 and want to make sure it is entered correctly. Thanks

I may be "out in left field" here, but are you purchasing a -12 that is/was an ELSA? or an EAB? I'm working from a hazy memory here...Is there a "Phase 2" test period for an ELSA?

If an EAB, you'll want to be cautious or a little more picky about what mods or deviations were made during the build IF you want to keep it LSA compliant.

2-cents,
Dave

Last edited:
I may be "out in left field" here, but are you purchasing a -12 that is/was an ELSA? or an EAB? I'm working from a hazy memory here...Is there a "Phase 2" test period for an ELSA? If an EAB, you'll want to be cautious or a little more picky about what mods or deviations were made during the build IF you want to keep it LSA compliant.
2-cents,
Dave

Phase II is normal operations after Phase I flight test.

Aha!! Thank-you Mel, I'd forgotten obviously.
So the OPs "Phase 2 Test" isn't really a test phase at all. It just requires normal documentation/log entries for maintenance, upgrades, condition inspections, etc.
Correct?

Aha!! Thank-you Mel, I'd forgotten obviously.
So the OPs "Phase 2 Test" isn't really a test phase at all. It just requires normal documentation/log entries for maintenance, upgrades, condition inspections, etc.
Correct?

Yep, That's it.

Back