What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Cable Rigging

GHARBEN

How should the rudder cables? Our RV 4 cables seem loose. The tail wheel does not swivel. It is a small wheel.
The aircraft seems to dart occasionally especially in a 3 point position.
Thanks
G Harben
N12HR
RV 4 O 320 Lycoming

The cables get their tension when your feet are on the rudder pedals, so it is normal for them to seem loose.

Stock wheel

The standard kit wheel is likely what you have. Simple and effective. You cannot push the plane backward or it will wrap up the chains. Cables are loose , but the link cables and chains are what sets the control sensitivity. I have found this to be one of the best controlling tail wheels ever. Make sure the wheel is installed correctly and perfectly vertical. Some tail springs become loose or where drilled incorrectly. Install a new tire if it's more flat than rounded at the tread. They are solid and require no air. With the plane sitting on ground the chains and cables should have a slight amount of slack, but that's it.

Thank you Sam and Bill
I am glad to find out that a little slack is correct. I believe that I have the standard wheel. I will look at it to verify that the pivot angle is completely vertical and the wheel is not worn flat.
Do the wings tend to block the rudder in a 3 point stance?
Thanks again
G Harben
N12HR
O 320

Short or Long Gear?

The rudder is plenty effective in the 3 point attitude. If you have short gear that attitude is fairly flat with several knots of flying speed above the stall. No real full stall landing possible with short gear.
I have short gear and my preference is to fly it on in a 3 point attitude.
I’m not sure which came first: tall gear or full swivel tail wheel. I bought mine with the old style non-swiveling tailwheel and converted to a light weight full swiveling unit with parts from Flyboys.
Very happy with the upgrade.

N12HR was built by Raymond D'Andrea in 1991. How could I determine if it has long or short gear? Why is the short gear difficult to full stall land?
Thanks for the help. I want to totally understand this RV, it is so much fun and the more you know the more fun!
75 and flying!
G Harben
N12HR O 320

You have a very nice looking short gear airplane. I found a 2013 photo of your airplane and can tell by looking at it, no real advantage to the long gear unless you are swinging a longer prop and need more ground clearance. A little better forward taxi visibility with the short gear. I’ve flown both and couldn’t tell much difference, I prefer wheel landings anyway!

Attachments

• 51A53C1D-455B-4378-9D19-F0A736F5AA36.jpeg
    51A53C1D-455B-4378-9D19-F0A736F5AA36.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 107
The AOA at the 3pt attitude is lower than stall AOA. So it can’t be stalled near touchdown and plonked down on 3 points. It has to be flown on to the deck in a 3 pt attitude.
Trying to do a “full stall” landing results in a nose cocked up attitude and tail wheel first landing.
The older -4s had a weak lower engine mount to fuselage weldment (F-404?). Dropping it in too hard results in a wrinkled firewall. Best to be gentle on landing if that weldment hasn’t been upgraded to the beefier version.
I recall several threads on the short gear vs long landing characteristics and quite a few on the F-404 weldment upgrade.
The way to tell is look at the weldment on the lower front corner of the inside of the fuselage. If it has split ears running aft along the lower longerons it is the older style. If it is a solid angle like the longeron then it’s heavier duty.

Back