What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trimming the Landing Light Lens

LittleJon

Building the wings on my 12-iS and have got to the landing light lens.

The plans, Step 3, 40iS/U-03, Revision 1, say to take a marker and trace the inbd and outbd edges of the wing cutout onto the lens. Figure 3 shows the "outside" corner of the backing strips aligning with the trimmed lens. When I cleco the backing strip to the lens, the "Inside" corner of the backing strip aligns with the mark. There is about a 1/4" difference. Should the lens extend, left and right, pass the wing cutout, or be flush? Thanks.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 115
I just completed this step. After trimming the upper and lower edges I traced the nut plate strip edge to edge around the corners to mark the inboard and outboard trim line. This appears to create the intent of trimming shown in the drawing. I see no benefit to trimming the glass to the edge of the cutout or an issue with it extending beyond the cutout. The only issue I have is at the apex of the nose I have a bout a 0.050 inch gap but I feel like I have seen the same issue on other aircrafts.

Attachments

• IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0914.jpg
    IMG_0914.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 133
I’ve always left a little extra plexi material outside the trim line - maybe 1/8”. You may have to squeeze the lense a little to insert it through the landing light opening, but it is pretty easy to do. Make sure you sand and then polish the edges, including the counter sunk holes for the screws.

Back