What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting my RV-4

Sully73

I am getting ready for paint on my disassembled RV-4. I am really excited.
After some research, I have decided to use "Prekote" for the aluminum prep then an epoxy primer from PPG (CRE-121) then 2-3 coats of Single Stage Urethane paint from PPG (AUE360).
I will paint either a white or red base and later add vinyl decals for numbers and some decorations.

Question, how much primer and paint should I buy?

Any advice on my plan?

Thanks in advance.

Alodine

After acid etch you should alodine before priming.

I agree but stress proper PPE and collection of chems. I Alodined mine. It wasn't a pleasant process. I plan to vinyl wrap and wanted it protected under the vinyl.

I am getting ready for paint on my disassembled RV-4. I am really excited.
After some research, I have decided to use "Prekote" for the aluminum prep then an epoxy primer from PPG (CRE-121) then 2-3 coats of Single Stage Urethane paint from PPG (AUE360).
I will paint either a white or red base and later add vinyl decals for numbers and some decorations.

Question, how much primer and paint should I buy?

Any advice on my plan?

Thanks in advance.

Where are you buying the PPG paint and Primer?

No need to Alodine as Prekote is an alternative to the "Etch and Alodine" pretreatment process. If I recall it requires a thorough scotch brite scrub, rinse and prime as soon as thoroughly dry and even a final solvent wipe is discouraged.

No need to Alodine as Prekote is an alternative to the "Etch and Alodine" pretreatment process. If I recall it requires a thorough scotch brite scrub, rinse and prime as soon as thoroughly dry and even a final solvent wipe is discouraged.

There you go...from a painting professional.

I've used Prekote with very good success as well. I think it was manufactured for Boeing and is the go-to-alternative to the previous harsh on your health and harsh on the environment processes.

"Precoat," that's a new one to me. What is it, how is it used, and who supplies it?

Sorry for the thread creep....

Thanks,
Dave

I don’t mind the creep: I’m at the same stage as the OP.
Sully, please keep us updated on what what you learn and your experience through the final result.
Thanks!!

Back