What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire replacement, mains, RV-9A

rjcthree

Well Known Member
I believe that the Goodyear FC III is the direction I’m going to go for my replacement mains (5-5.00 on Grove wheels). I believe 4 ply is the correct choice, AS pn 06-05100-3. I’ll probably go with the Michelin air stop tubes, Michelin PN 092-308-0 , AS pn 06-00019. Can someone confirm my choice, please?

At $350 per wheel end, I hope they are nice. I don’t want to open up my wheel pants.

I have about 80 hours on my 9A and the right outside of the tire is showing wear. They are the stock tires. I probably have about 150 landings in those hours. The lest tire is not nearly as worn. Any ideas why? I try to keep the pressure balanced.

I would like to keep the same wheel but have a larger tire. I am OK reworking the wheel pants if needed. Am I correct that the Dressler retreads are a bit bigger?

I would really like a larger wheel and tire for the front. There isnt much clearance to the fork so that may not be possible. I think the new nose wheel - motor mount may be the answer.

More detail -9A

Ok, I really don’t want to open up my wheel pants. I have decent (thumb plus, call it at least 3/4”) clearance all around the tire. I got 220 hours and probably 250 landings, all concrete or blacktop, out of the stock mains. Honestly, I could get a bunch more, but I don’t think they will get me to my next condition inspection. I feel like I would have gotten more if the project hadn’t aged a while on the gear.

So with some negative reviews of the FS IIs due to out of balance, I guess I will try the Michelins Walt suggests, along with the miracle tubes. :)

My preference is Wilkerson retreads when I can get them. IF buying new, I typically like the Goodyear FS II 6-ply rated best. Wilkerson's price was better than Aircraft Spruce last time I purchased them. Condor is my 2nd choice.

Michelin Air Stop are the only tubes I will use.

My preference is Wilkerson retreads when I can get them. IF buying new, I typically like the Goodyear FS II 6-ply rated best. Wilkerson's price was better than Aircraft Spruce last time I purchased them. Condor is my 2nd choice.

Michelin Air Stop are the only tubes I will use.

+1 Just tryin out the Wilkerson retreads now but the new GoodYear FSII have been holding up well about 120 hrs and 60-70 landings all hard surface, aren't even close to being flipped.

Ok, I really don’t want to open up my wheel pants. I have decent (thumb plus, call it at least 3/4”) clearance all around the tire. I got 220 hours and probably 250 landings, all concrete or blacktop, out of the stock mains. Honestly, I could get a bunch more, but I don’t think they will get me to my next condition inspection. I feel like I would have gotten more if the project hadn’t aged a while on the gear.

So with some negative reviews of the FS IIs due to out of balance, I guess I will try the Michelins Walt suggests, along with the miracle tubes. :)

Not to sound like Mel, but I have used this tire for over 43 years with NO balance problem.

Just make sure you purchase a round profile.

On my RV-7A, I got 501 landings out of the OEM Airhawk tires. I then tried Monster retreads, which were slightly larger diameter than the Airhawks, and only got 338 landings. Now using FSII with Michelin tubes which have 260 landings on them. I've flipped the FSII tires on their respective wheels once and swapped them side to side once. Wear has evened out and tread depth across each tire is 2/32. I'm very satisfied with the FSII airing them to 50 psi and won't even consider going back to the Monster retreads. All but about 1/2 dozen landings have been on pavement.

Last edited:
Maybe at 140 or so landings I’m getting about what I should. I can rotate them to even out the tread wear.

Attachments

• CA2CD4F1-0C8A-4695-9706-28D73DB4AD27.jpg
    CA2CD4F1-0C8A-4695-9706-28D73DB4AD27.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 184
  • A2303542-DA8E-4C40-8F5D-0251591DB0E3.jpg
    A2303542-DA8E-4C40-8F5D-0251591DB0E3.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 177
new tires

I have used Desser Aerospace Monster Retreads almost from start. I did have to open the wheels pants a little. I have 2325 plus hours on the nearly 15 year old -9A. I get good life out of the tires and have never had a balance or separation problem. Good tires, fair price. Give them a look. Dan from Reno

Tire replacement done

I ultimately went with Goodyear FlightSpecial 2’s, eight ply, and the Michelin air stop tubes. The FS2’s have a very round profile and look almost skinny vs the stock tires. I definitely did not have any less clearance with the FS2’s, so all good there. Simple spin test on the axle didn’t show any big high spots or imbalance. On a whim I tried the same on my nose wheel and yikes! Now I know where my post take off vibe is coming from (it wasn’t a mystery, I saw it on video). I weighted the front rim to minimize the static out of balance roughly.

I love the smell of fresh tires. :)

These were the old tires, 206 hours.

Attachments

• 68924921-E359-439D-93DD-4090C17B4C28.jpg
    68924921-E359-439D-93DD-4090C17B4C28.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Back