What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Showplanes Fastback with Todd's Canopy?

Duhg

Well Known Member
I know this is a real long shot. Does anyone have experience with using a Todd's canopy with the Showplanes Fastback kit? Good? Bad? Ugly? I have access to one that would save significant $$ and be available months sooner than the Van's canopy in the finish kit on order.

Showplanes & Todd: Love it...

Send me your email by PM and I will send you my images.

Thank you for the pictures Richard, they're perfect.

Scott, unfortunately Todd past away and his canopies are no longer available, but I was able to source one that wasn't being used. Just wanted to make sure his version was a viable option for the Showplanes kit.

After a little research it sounds like the assets from Todd’s Canopies were acquired by AeroCanopy from St. Louis (aero canopy.com). It also sounds like some of the molds were possibly lost in the transition from Florida to Missouri. I inquired about the availability of RV6 canopies, but haven’t heard back from them.
I had a Todd’s tinted canopy on my first RV8 - a Showplanes Fastback canopy. The Todd’s canopy was a great fit, and good quality. It seems from their website that AeroCanopy produces RV8 canopies. The canopy bubble is the same as the stock Vans canopy for the stock slider canopy. Mine fit very well.

33BD71AA-DF62-483B-AB45-F667E267AD9A.jpg

After a little research it sounds like the assets from Todd’s Canopies were acquired by AeroCanopy from St. Louis (aero canopy.com). It also sounds like some of the molds were possibly lost in the transition from Florida to Missouri. I inquired about the availability of RV6 canopies, but haven’t heard back from them.
I had a Todd’s tinted canopy on my first RV8 - a Showplanes Fastback canopy. The Todd’s canopy was a great fit, and good quality. It seems from their website that AeroCanopy produces RV8 canopies. The canopy bubble is the same as the stock Vans canopy for the stock slider canopy. Mine fit very well.

View attachment 19776

Thanks Scott, I've searched images of your plane before but didn't know you had used the Todd's canopy. I'm learning a few of the popular Showplane 8's used Todd's.

My -8 has the showplanes fastback with todds canopy but it is still a slider (not the tip over). I'd post a pic on here but don't know how to attach on these forums. Send me a PM and I'd be happy to send you some pics. It looks more like a rocket than the 8.

Pretty

3E15B308-0BBA-411F-990B-331A9BF4E73D.jpeg

Hey Scott, great pics of Bud’s and Greese’s planes. Yours looks good to!
Merry Christmas!

Scott,

Great pictures. Beautiful airplane. What cowl did you use? Is that a standard Vans cowl or a Showplanes cowl, or something else? Thanks.

Fernando

Back