What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sensor lead protection, suggestions needed

Freemasm

Well Known Member
The tach pick-ups contact the engine case and/sensor bracket. No way around it. See attached. The individual wires are in a protective sheath. I’d like something additional for these critical sensors. Nothing can be slipped over either end. I’d like something better than spiral wrap if I can. Suggestions?

Much appreciated

Attachments

• 5337C2B0-5F21-4EC5-B68A-95108BBB29FC.jpg
    5337C2B0-5F21-4EC5-B68A-95108BBB29FC.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 145
Something like Bentley Harris Roundit Nomex self closing sleeve would be one option. But after you price it, some Teflon spiral sleeving might be a more affordable choice.

I took a piece of rubber fuel line, slit it long ways so I could get the wires inside, and then tied it in place with wax string.

Not to get off track but you may want to take a look at your lock nut pictured to the left

At least in the picture, I can't see anything sharp that could really cut through it, so the insulation wearing away due to vibration seems like the most likely problem.

Based on that assumption, no matter what it gets wrapped in, if it were me I'd stick it to they case with red rtv after.

I'll bite, what's wrong with that lock nut? I zoomed in after I read that post and I sure don't see anything?

The tach pick-ups contact the engine case and/sensor bracket. No way around it. See attached. The individual wires are in a protective sheath. I’d like something additional for these critical sensors. Nothing can be slipped over either end. I’d like something better than spiral wrap if I can. Suggestions?

Much appreciated

Tach pickup or ignition timing pickup?

I wouldn't worry much about a tach pickup. A timing pickup, you might look for a kevlar sheath or just a kevlar wrap.

Another option is to bed the wires in a dob of RTV to secure them from rubbing against the case and potentially wearing through.

Sorry. Sensor pick-up obviously. That’s what I get for trying to bang out a thread starter during a 60 minutes commercial.

Lock nut issue? Not seeing it but please let me know your suspicions. Proper thread/locking feature engagement. Can’t imagine anything else but willing to learn.

If you just want something different

https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/f6...Itun7ZV5clV38FQxNoek3iDGzy68-ufxoCZX4QAvD_BwE

That stuff has a preload to make it want to wrap on itself. A couple wire ties just to make sure it doesn't slip and you've got a nice tough covering.

I also wonder what could be visibly wrong with that locknut? Is that like having a student under the bag on a IFR X-Cntry and asking him/her where they think they are going just to see what happens?

Last edited:
Back