What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Medical Adventures: from BasicMed to Second

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Over the past few months, I've learned a few things that will probably help other RVers avoid unnecessary troubles with the FAA medical folks.

My adventures started in December when I had an aura, as in optical migraine. This is a temporary blockage of a small portion of your vision, and it usually goes away on its own promptly -- as it did in my case. This is not uncommon and is usually not a big deal. (I'm 73 years old, somehow...)

The optometrist's receptionist said not to worry about it as I had an appointment coming up in a month, and that was sort of correct, but the optometrist was much more concerned.

He referred me to a cardiologist and I got the whole treatment: EKG, two week heart monitor, and an echo cardiogram. The optometrist also referred me to get the carotid arteries checked. My family doctor saw all these referrals and she in turn referred me to a neurologist and I got a brain MRI. They didn't find anything. Of significance, that is, some minor stuff but also age related cerebral atrophy. I tell my friends that means that my jokes won't improve. I was also got a field of view test, to make sure that there were no gaps in my vision. All these test results were normal. Not perfect, but normal.

In conversations with two pilot friends with cardiac issues, I heard interesting stories. First, that if the FAA wants test results to resolve any medical issues, those tests need to be less than 90 days old. Also, the FAA will not grant Special Issuance to BasicMed, only to third class or better. And one friend was told by the FAA Oklahoma City that he needed some cardiac test but, unfortunately, that test is obsolescent or worse and nobody around him performs that test any more. They also wanted test results from events dating back 70 years...

So, on BasicMed, the AOPA medical folks said that none of this had to be reported to the FAA. On the other hand, since I've had all these tests done, and they're all looking good, why not go for a second or a third class medical and put any possible issues to rest – especially if the FAA was to later decide that some expensive test(s) needed to be redone when it’s time for BasicMed renewal.

I went to a Senior AME and gave him all these test results. If I had wanted to pay for it, I probably could have gotten a First Class medical. Anyway, the information will go to the FAA on Wednesday, looking for oral approval to issue a second class. Worst case, they’ll take 90 days to review all the data, but in the meantime, I’m still well qualified for BasicMed.

The important part here is that he is not a plain vanilla AME, he is a Senior AME and knows the FAA system and people. He knows what phrasing to use to keep the FAA medicos from salivating at sloppy writing. This contrasts with the experience of a friend (mentioned above), who hired a big company to handle his cardiac condition with the FAA. They did nothing except submit all his information to the FAA without telling him, and without reviewing or explaining the information, IIRC. The FAA responded unfavorably in his case.

Your mileage will undoubtedly vary, but if you’re facing medical concerns that might threaten your flying, there are smart ways to handle the situation. And it can be expensive – with a discount, my Senior AME charged me about the same as five third class medicals, plus the fee for the Second Class. But he will see this through, whatever it takes.

You get what you pay for.

Over the past few months, I've learned a few things that will probably help other RVers avoid unnecessary troubles with the FAA medical folks.

My adventures started in December when I had an aura, as in optical migraine. This is a temporary blockage of a small portion of your vision, and it usually goes away on its own promptly -- as it did in my case. This is not uncommon and is usually not a big deal. (I'm 73 years old, somehow...)

The optometrist's receptionist said not to worry about it as I had an appointment coming up in a month, and that was sort of correct, but the optometrist was much more concerned.

He referred me to a cardiologist and I got the whole treatment: EKG, two week heart monitor, and an echo cardiogram. The optometrist also referred me to get the carotid arteries checked. My family doctor saw all these referrals and she in turn referred me to a neurologist and I got a brain MRI. They didn't find anything. Of significance, that is, some minor stuff but also age related cerebral atrophy. I tell my friends that means that my jokes won't improve. I was also got a field of view test, to make sure that there were no gaps in my vision. All these test results were normal. Not perfect, but normal.

In conversations with two pilot friends with cardiac issues, I heard interesting stories. First, that if the FAA wants test results to resolve any medical issues, those tests need to be less than 90 days old. Also, the FAA will not grant Special Issuance to BasicMed, only to third class or better. And one friend was told by the FAA Oklahoma City that he needed some cardiac test but, unfortunately, that test is obsolescent or worse and nobody around him performs that test any more. They also wanted test results from events dating back 70 years...

So, on BasicMed, the AOPA medical folks said that none of this had to be reported to the FAA. On the other hand, since I've had all these tests done, and they're all looking good, why not go for a second or a third class medical and put any possible issues to rest – especially if the FAA was to later decide that some expensive test(s) needed to be redone when it’s time for BasicMed renewal.

I went to a Senior AME and gave him all these test results. If I had wanted to pay for it, I probably could have gotten a First Class medical. Anyway, the information will go to the FAA on Wednesday, looking for oral approval to issue a second class. Worst case, they’ll take 90 days to review all the data, but in the meantime, I’m still well qualified for BasicMed.

The important part here is that he is not a plain vanilla AME, he is a Senior AME and knows the FAA system and people. He knows what phrasing to use to keep the FAA medicos from salivating at sloppy writing. This contrasts with the experience of a friend (mentioned above), who hired a big company to handle his cardiac condition with the FAA. They did nothing except submit all his information to the FAA without telling him, and without reviewing or explaining the information, IIRC. The FAA responded unfavorably in his case.

Your mileage will undoubtedly vary, but if you’re facing medical concerns that might threaten your flying, there are smart ways to handle the situation. And it can be expensive – with a discount, my Senior AME charged me about the same as five third class medicals, plus the fee for the Second Class. But he will see this through, whatever it takes.

You get what you pay for.

I would have gone for an AME consult first before having the AME hit transmit in MedExpress because once he/she does you can’t unring the bell. That way you can decide with your physician if the condition would be something that would ground you under BasicMed, FAA medical disqualifying, or that you might need to pursue an SI for under an FAA medical. The other reason is if you get an official FAA medical denial, you just disqualified yourself from BasicMed. YMMV…

What if you fail to get 2nd class ?

My (Maybe misguided) understanding is if you have been denied any medical then you no longer qualify for Basic Med. Isn't this a dangerous path you are on? Others may clarify. :confused:

I would have gone for an AME consult first before having the AME hit transmit in MedExpress because once he/she does you can’t unring the bell. That way you can decide with your physician if the condition would be something that would ground you under BasicMed, FAA medical disqualifying, or that you might need to pursue an SI for under an FAA medical. The other reason is if you get an official FAA medical denial, you just disqualified yourself from BasicMed. YMMV…

I did all that.

CLARIFICATION: I had all the test results before I went to the AME. All of the MDs told me that all the results were normal, so there was very little risk of a denial. And AOPA said that none of this had to be reported for BasicMed. I was just covering my bases and then some.

Last edited:
I have to ask: why? If you were flying under BasicMed, and everything came back normal, why not just keep doing what you were doing? Why run the risk that the FAA will deny your Class III or Class II medical, thus locking you out of BasicMed AND a regular medical, and putting an abrupt halt on your flying?

Just because you *can* do something doesn't mean you should. Good luck, I hope they don't deny your application. Let us know what happens.

ETA: I guess this is the part that confuses me:

why not go for a second or a third class medical and put any possible issues to rest – especially if the FAA was to later decide that some expensive test(s) needed to be redone when it’s time for BasicMed renewal.

The FAA doesn't decide such a thing at BasicMed renewal. You go to a doctor, and they either do or don't sign off on the checklist. Nothing goes to the FAA, there's nothing for them do decide (yes, I know that when you do the on-line training, some info goes to them like the date of the physical and the doc's license number, but NOT any results, positive or negative).

Last edited:
I would have not done anything if you did not need the class II or class III. Too risky no matter what AME you go to.

One thing I have learned after almost 20 years of dealing with OKC and the special issuance process, it’s not done until it’s done once it is in the FAA’s hands. Don’t count your chickens yet. You will be very lucky to get results in the time frame you mentioned.

Also, the FAA could care less about the interpretations of test data by non FAA doctors. They will draw their own conclusions on the results. Each specialty will be taking a look at all your test.

I also don’t understand why the senior AME charged you so much for doing his job. There is nothing difficult about your case for him to justify that. Heck it sounds like he deferred the decision anyway. I have had AME’s that have inside connections at the FAA help me for free and got good results.

Last edited:
one friend was told by the FAA Oklahoma City that he needed some cardiac test but, unfortunately, that test is obsolescent or worse and nobody around him performs that test any more. They also wanted test results from events dating back 70 years...

Sorry you and your friend are having to go through this painful process. It's stuff like this that makes me wonder... what are we saving ourselves from with this? What good is this? The FAA just announced it's hiring double-digit numbers of people to sit in OKC because younger pilots are coming in with far more "treated mental health conditions"--i.e. things like ADD/ADHD, or things that in past generations everyone just ignored, and people still developed into functioning adults--but someone went to do the right thing and now they're getting punished for it. What "maybe possibly could theoretically potentially conceivably happen" event are we worrying about with third-class medicals and private pilots, especially when people with denials get right back in their cars and are at 1000x the risk exposure (due to time behind the wheel and proximity to others) just driving around in their normal day? How many millions and millions of tax dollars are we wasting on extremely remote chances instead of trying to go after things that, you know, actually cause accidents on a regular basis and/or might actually make real, measurable safety improvements?

Stuff like this shouldn't take knowing the right people and the right words and picking the right OKC desk jockey who woke up on the right side of the bed that day.

Hopefully MOSAIC drops before it's a concern for me and it's beneficial. But otherwise I think I have one third-class left and I'll aim to get it done as close to my 40th birthday as possible. After that, it's basicmed for me.

Basic Med

I have a question for the OP and VAF group. I currently carry a first Class medical because of my career. When I retire the Basic Med hold great interest for me. However, I am hearing stories that Basic Med can be an issue for insurance companies as we exceed 70 and 80 years old. What has been the experience of this group?

"why not go for a second or a third class medical and put any possible issues to rest – especially if the FAA was to later decide that some expensive test(s) needed to be redone when it’s time for BasicMed renewal."

The FAA doesn't decide such a thing at BasicMed renewal. You go to a doctor, and they either do or don't sign off on the checklist. Nothing goes to the FAA, there's nothing for them do decide (yes, I know that when you do the on-line training, some info goes to them like the date of the physical and the doc's license number, but NOT any results, positive or negative).

Bingo. Many people have this misconception (including doctors) that the FAA can and will change things or demand tests. Not only is this not true there are only a handful of medical conditions explicitly called out in BasicMed as needing an SI if they develop.

But otherwise I think I have one third-class left and I'll aim to get it done as close to my 40th birthday as possible. After that, it's basicmed for me.

You might just think about BasicMed right off the bat if you have insurance. I have my Dr. do it as part of my yearly wellness check and insurance pays for it. :D

I have a question for the OP and VAF group. I currently carry a first Class medical because of my career. When I retire the Basic Med hold great interest for me. However, I am hearing stories that Basic Med can be an issue for insurance companies as we exceed 70 and 80 years old. What has been the experience of this group?

Interesting. I don't recall my insurance company even asking for anything related to my medical. I'm not that old but I don't recall even seeing it on the form.

I hope you have better luck that I had. My Basic Med would expire on Dec 31st 2022 and I needed a 2nd class (work related) so I did my actual physical on Dec 3rd, 2022. I thought my SI (I have sleep apnea) had expired in 2021 but the AME said everything looked good and submitted the paperwork.

By Dec 30th I had not heard anything and MedExpress showed my physical as "Pending" so I flew for 1hr. By mid January MedExpress showed "Additional information Requested". I went to the AME to get those papers completed and overnighted them on Jan 12th. The next day MedExpress showed the papers had been received and the status was again "Pending".

By Feb 14th it was still "Pending" so I called MedExpress. They told me they had received the paperwork but had not been scanned in to the system. Until the paperwork was scanned, they could not make a decision. Then they told me it has been taking from 4-6 weeks to get paperwork scanned. I kept calling every 2 days with the same answer, hoping the "squeaky wheel" gets the attention. On March 1st MedExpress showed I had been issued a 2nd Class and it had been sent. I received it on March 4th and the very next day I flew for the 1st time in over 2 months.

The worst part was that I had been sent an updated SI and it was valid until December 2024 so my AME could have just issued the 2nd Class. But I never received that updated SI. Since the AME had already sent the paperwork he could not pull it back and just issue me the 2nd Class.

With my 2nd Class I also received an updated SI, valid until 2028, so I won't have to go through this ordeal again. So, GOOD LUCK!

:(

Last edited:
Anyway, the information will go to the FAA on Wednesday, looking for oral approval to issue a second class. Worst case, they’ll take 90 days to review all the data, but in the meantime, I’m still well qualified for BasicMed.

r.

Not an expert, but several things you stated do not mesh with my understanding of BasicMed and suggest further digging. You stated that if the FAA denies your application that you still have Basic Med. Very sorry, but pretty sure that if the FAA ever denies you for a medical, you are automatically disqualified from using Basic Med. I hope I am wrong here, but do not believe that I am.

I feel that you have taken a dangerous step here and run the risk of needing many thousands of dollars of tests that are no longer offered by most practiioners and therefore difficult to get. I hope that doesn't come to pass for you.

Last edited:
As I contemplate going Basic Med, I hadn't thought about the effect that my age (70+) might have on my insurance. I just sent off an email to my broker for her opinion. My rates are pretty reasonable, and actually have been going down, so I hate to screw that up. OTOH, the consequences of failing a Class 3 are also worrisome and I absolutely do not want to subject myself unnecessarily to the morass that is the Aviation Medical Branch.

Not an expert, but several things you stated do not mesh with my understanding of BasicMed and suggest further digging. You stated that if the FAA denies your application that you still have Basic Med. Very sorry, but pretty sure that if the FAA ever denies you for a medical, you are automatically disqualified from using Basic Med. I hope I am wrong here, but do not believe that I am.

I feel that you have taken a dangerous step here and run the risk of needing many thousands of dollars of tests that are no longer offered by most practiioners and therefore difficult to get. I hope that doesn't come to pass for you.

This is correct and I agree. I think it was very risky to apply for the 2nd class. Especially if it isn’t really needed.

To the OP, Ed:
I was thinking the same thing as Larry here. BasicMed does not work as a fallback for a failed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd class exam. As far as I understand, if you fail one of the latter you are automatically disqualified for the former.

Medical

Before I made the final decision to convert to BasicMed more than a year ago, I called my insurance broker and asked if there would be any insurance issues or increased premium. His answer was, "We consider it a valid, federally recognized medical. There will be no change in your policy or premium". My latest renewal was last November and there was no significant increase in premium. I am 70+

Last edited:
I agree with some others here: this seems like unnecessarily “poking the bear” especially if BasicMed flying limitations are acceptable. I went BasicMed the day it was available. Not because I would fail a Medical (my health is fine) but because it is a less risky path where you and your doc are in control. Even for healthy people, if you forget to check some box and happen to get a capricious clerk in OKC, you’re grounded with potentially months or years of explaining to do. Not worth it!

There is sub-form at PilotsOfAmerica.com for discussion of medical concerns that has the ability to post anonymously and get replies from a half a dozen senior AME's.

Might want to submit your inquiry there.

Before I made the final decision to convert to BasicMed more than a year ago, I called my insurance broker and asked if there would be any insurance issues or increased premium. His answer was, "We consider it a valid, federally recognized medical. There will be no change in your policy or premium". My latest renewal was last November and there was no significant increase in premium. I am 70+

Good news! Thanks for posting. I hope my insurance company is as enlightened as yours.

I agree with some others here: this seems like unnecessarily “poking the bear” especially if BasicMed flying limitations are acceptable. I went BasicMed the day it was available. Not because I would fail a Medical (my health is fine) but because it is a less risky path where you and your doc are in control. Even for healthy people, if you forget to check some box and happen to get a capricious clerk in OKC, you’re grounded with potentially months or years of explaining to do. Not worth it!

And I can assure you...those "capricious clerks" at the Medical Branch are a distinct reality.

Last edited:
I hate to pile on but here's some recent info for everyone.

In September I had my first, first class medical exam and needed to send additional paperwork to the FAA the week after the exam.

Just a week ago I received the medical card so I'm essentially legal to fly with a First class medical for two weeks until it expires and reverts to a second class.

I hate to pile on but here's some recent info for everyone.

In September I had my first, first class medical exam and needed to send additional paperwork to the FAA the week after the exam.

Just a week ago I received the medical card so I'm essentially legal to fly with a First class medical for two weeks until it expires and reverts to a second class.

That's the FAA we have all come to know and love:rolleyes: There is a reason we got basic med. Even congress was able to realize how messed up things are in OKC. It is truly a sad day when it takes our government just shy of 6 months to issue a 6 month term certificate that is back dated to the applciation date. Just can't think of too many things less fair than that, even for Gov't. No FAA bashing here, just stating the obvious.

My last medical 6 some years ago, the secy made a mistake with the application that should have been an AME approval. It kicked off an OKC review and took 4 months to get the cert; all the while unable to fly. And that was with the AME pushing due to his office's mistake. Even had to re do tests, as by the time the FAA looked at them, they were no longer less than 90 days old. I feel truly blessed to have basic med as an option.

Last edited:
Guys, I didn't poke no bear.

Here's what I did
1. Got all the tests done and the results were all good
2. Had a consultation with the AME, reviewed all the test results. Fed the bear, nice bear.
3. After the consultation, and with advice as to what level Medical the tests showed I could probably qualify for, only then applied for a Second with very minimal risk of denial... Full cardiac workup in the previous month, full eye exam and then some in the previous two months. The AME was most unlikely to find anything after all the tests I'd just had.
4. By taking the miniscule risk of going for a Second instead of BasicMed, I completely avoided the possibility of the FAA deciding later that I needed to retake some test -- which might have been expensive for me.

As I contemplate going Basic Med, I hadn't thought about the effect that my age (70+) might have on my insurance. I just sent off an email to my broker for her opinion. My rates are pretty reasonable, and actually have been going down, so I hate to screw that up. OTOH, the consequences of failing a Class 3 are also worrisome and I absolutely do not want to subject myself unnecessarily to the morass that is the Aviation Medical Branch.

My insurance came due, I hadn't flown in over a year (life got in the way) my plane was out of annual, my basic med had expired and I needed a flight review. I called my insurance company (you all know her) and I was instantly insured..:D How can that be?? She told me that the policy covers you as a pilot in compliance with your certificate..... Get up to date and go fly. Basic Med is your approved medical.

Your age can become an issue. But she also told me that by far, the best experimental aircraft to own for insurance purposes is the RV6A. Because it has the longest proven record, easy to work on, and parts are readily available.

So if you are nearing 70 and own an RV6A and are on basic med and have been with your same insurance company (loyalty helps) and STAY AWAY FROM THE FAA.... you will have a good chance to choose when YOU decide to quit flying.

One other thing.... As we age, and the risk for insurance companies increases, I hope we are offered the option (in exchange for lower rates) to carry no passengers except for a licensed pilot.... far better than nothing.

Back to first post

“age related cerebral atrophy. I tell my friends that means that my jokes won't improve.”

I think that joke is as funny as any I’ve seen here:D

4. By taking the miniscule risk of going for a Second instead of BasicMed, I completely avoided the possibility of the FAA deciding later that I needed to retake some test -- which might have been expensive for me.

If you are on basic med (even expired) you never need to talk to the FAA again, unless you volunteer to. Your remaining flying years are up to you and your Basic Med doctor. AOPA gave you very good advice and you ignored it. If the papers haven't been sent, I would hold off and think about the direction this is going.

I do wish you the best of luck, and many years of flying..

The BasicMed with my personal Dr. was more thorough than the ones I received when I needed the Class1 for my job. I went to BM having gotten tired of dealing with the FAA in anyway at all. The forced retirement age 60 was the final straw for me.

My Basic Med wasn't an issue with my insurance and I have three airplanes I fly, RV4, Pitts S1S and Laser. However, this year the underwriter insisted on a yearly annual flight check and physical to continue with liability on the Pitts and Laser. I guess they figure at 75 plus, pulling G's well beyond the vanilla acro in the RV4 will do me in. Two of the planes are single seaters and a flight check in a spamcan with an instructor is irrelevant to my ability to fly my acro planes. While different, the scenarios posed by the bureaucracy reminds me of when I had to nearly get undressed to check for weapons while flying as Captain and all I needed was my hands to create havoc.

While my beloved RV4 is my old man's plane, I'll leave it to your imagination how I'll handle the other two.

My insurance came due, I hadn't flown in over a year (life got in the way) my plane was out of annual, my basic med had expired and I needed a flight review. I called my insurance company (you all know her) and I was instantly insured..:D How can that be?? She told me that the policy covers you as a pilot in compliance with your certificate..... Get up to date and go fly. Basic Med is your approved medical.

It doesn't always work that way. I needed to renew my Navion's insurance while I was waiting for an SI because of a stent. My insurance would not renew it without a named pilot with a valid medical. Fortunately, my hangar mate is qualified and his addition satisfied them. Check with YOUR insurance company.

To add to others stories, the stent ended my BasicMed and made me get a SI. That took 4 months out of my 12 when finally issued. It just expired and I'm back on BasicMed.

One other thing.... As we age, and the risk for insurance companies increases, I hope we are offered the option (in exchange for lower rates) to carry no passengers except for a licensed pilot.... far better than nothing.

Only slightly ‘tongue in cheek’: many of us are almost there now, flying with $100K/passenger sublimits. In today’s world, with out of control medical costs and liability lawyers on every street corner, $100K is unfortunately almost the same as nothing.

Here's what I did
1. Got all the tests done and the results were all good
2. Had a consultation with the AME, reviewed all the test results. Fed the bear, nice bear.
3. After the consultation, and with advice as to what level Medical the tests showed I could probably qualify for, only then applied for a Second with very minimal risk of denial... Full cardiac workup in the previous month, full eye exam and then some in the previous two months. The AME was most unlikely to find anything after all the tests I'd just had.

I don't know how many ways people can say this. If you had stuck with BasicMed, there would be NO chance the FAA would "decide later" that you need to retake ANY tests, unless YOU tell them (e.g., if you develop one of the problems they list on the BasicMed info).

You are still at risk of a denial now, which will forever lock you out of BasicMed.

Why? Did you *need* a Class II or III medical for some reason? I'll admit I'm mystified by this. Why run *any* risk of losing your medical AND ending the option for BasicMed?

Just to bring it back to your situation, and of course, I'm not an MD or AME, but the CACI worksheet for AME's states:

Acceptable Types of Migraine or
Headache
[ ] Classic/Common Migraine, Chronic Tension headache, Cluster
headache
NOT acceptable: Ocular migraine, complicated migraine

which is what you said you had, right?

Hope the FAA doesn't deny you based on this.

Last edited:
Only slightly ‘tongue in cheek’: many of us are almost there now, flying with $100K/passenger sublimits. In today’s world, with out of control medical costs and liability lawyers on every street corner, $100K is unfortunately almost the same as nothing.

I am beyond 70, and if my insurance said the cost of your policy is going to double or, you carry no passengers (same coverage) I would have no problem with that. When I posted "discount" I meant no increase.

What would you pay for that extra seat to be occupied? how often??

This reads to me as a classic/common migraine, not an ocular migraine.

According to WebMD, Classic migraines have an aura. Common migraines do not have an aura.

Ocular aka retinal/opthalmic migraines are described by Mayo as rare and involving repeated bouts of short-lasting diminished vision or blindness. WebMD says retinal/opthalmic migraines causes "short-lived, partial, or total loss of vision in one eye, along with a dull ache behind the eye, which may spread to the rest of your head. Get medical help right away if you have any vision changes."

I know you said optical and not ocular, but optical sure sounds a lot more like ocular than classic.

Last edited:
Agreed 100%

I don't know how many ways people can say this. If you had stuck with BasicMed, there would be NO chance the FAA would "decide later" that you need to retake ANY tests, unless YOU tell them (e.g., if you develop one of the problems they list on the BasicMed info).

You are still at risk of a denial now, which will forever lock you out of BasicMed.

Why? Did you *need* a Class II or III medical for some reason? I'll admit I'm mystified by this. Why run *any* risk of losing your medical AND ending the option for BasicMed?

Just to bring it back to your situation, and of course, I'm not an MD or AME, but the CACI worksheet for AME's states:

[/B]

which is what you said you had, right?

Hope the FAA doesn't deny you based on this.

Basic Med is for pilots the best thing that happened to us in my 50 years of flying. When the time comes that you and your doctor feel you cannot qualify then you can fly light sport or even sailplanes. For me my last FAA physical my doctor realized that even thinking of not passing raised my BP 30+ points. He gave me a minute to calm down took my BP (After his nurse tried 3 or 4 times) looked at me and said that's good to go. My personal doctor never had any issues with my BP then and now. I know towplane pilots who stopped towing because they did not want to flunk their exam and not be able to fly sailplanes. Flunking (Or passing with exemptions) your medical brings out all kinds of issues that we do not need to deal with. (Age has enough inconveniences)

Ed, I admit that I'm in the "don't poke the bear" camp but I'll also freely admit that I'm not an expert on the nuances of basic med vs. regular FAA medical in general, or certainly on your situation in particular.

Best of luck to you with this and please let us know how it turns out so that we can add this to the collective tribal knowledge.

1. Don't listen to optometrists. Find a good ophthalmologist.
2. Don't ask a question you don't already know the answer to for the FAA.

1. Don't listen to optometrists. Find a good ophthalmologist.

Absolutely. Especially, don't listen to optometrists' receptionists.

Visual field abnormality is potentially dangerous stuff, especially for a pilot who wants to keep flying. See an actual physician who is trained in diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the eye.

Last edited:
Got the Second Class medical as expected.

To answer some points others raised:
* My eye doctor is in an office with three MDs, and the office has all the latest electronic stuff for checking eyes. And at the main office, that's where they do all kinds of eye surgeries, not just cataracts. So no problem that he's less than qualified. And I didn't have a major problem that would require such high horsepower.
* As for risk, very small present risk vs very small future risk that could be very expensive to resolve -- as a friend is going through. And as previously mentioned, I had a consultation before the physical so I knew that I would qualify for second. Otherwise, I would have applied for what I knew I could get... or done nothing and stayed with BasicMed.
* There is new phraseology on lenses required. There used to be six options the AME could select from, now there's just one general purpose one.

So now I'm legal to fly airplanes faster and higher than I can afford...

Great news!

Glad to hear you are still in the game!!

Got the Second Class medical as expected.

To answer some points others raised:
* My eye doctor is in an office with three MDs, and the office has all the latest electronic stuff for checking eyes. And at the main office, that's where they do all kinds of eye surgeries, not just cataracts. So no problem that he's less than qualified. And I didn't have a major problem that would require such high horsepower.
* As for risk, very small present risk vs very small future risk that could be very expensive to resolve -- as a friend is going through. And as previously mentioned, I had a consultation before the physical so I knew that I would qualify for second. Otherwise, I would have applied for what I knew I could get... or done nothing and stayed with BasicMed.
* There is new phraseology on lenses required. There used to be six options the AME could select from, now there's just one general purpose one.

So now I'm legal to fly airplanes faster and higher than I can afford...

This past Tuesday I got a certified letter from the FAA...never a good thing. Sure enough, it was from the Aeromedical branch telling me that the letter from my "treating physician" regarding mandated followup affirming the stability of the condition for which I have a Special Issuance was inadequate. They want more information than he provided. I have 60 days to provide the FAA with an "appropriate" letter from him or they'll pull my Class 3 ("maybe"). It's noteworthy that that information was submitted a year ago along with my biennial Class 3 exam. My AME passed me at that time and issued the medical without concern. It took the FAA a year to second guess him and decide that they needed more information. I'd suggest that the AME issuing a medical certificate does not always mean that one gets to keep it after it's reviewed. I hope this works out for Ed.

I saw my doctor ("treating physician") yesterday. He examined and did the labs they wanted. Everything was fine, which I already knew. Before I saw him I actually wrote the letter I wanted him to send (after chatting with my AME about it) and gave it to him to modify as he saw fit, making sure that it addressed everything the FAA wanted to know and that my AME suggested. He was very accommodating.

For 50 years, Class 3 medicals have been a "nothing" event for me. Now, at this age...not so much. This episode has left me with a firm determination to finally pull the trigger on Basic Med. An FAA Class 3 does nothing for me that Basic Med doesn't and it's clear that the more I can keep myself out of the Aeromedical Branch, the less complicated my remaining years of flying are likely to be.

Coincidentally, the featured speaker at our EAA chapter meeting tomorrow morning is an AME speaking about Basic Med.

Last edited:
This past Tuesday I got a certified letter from the FAA...never a good thing. Sure enough, it was from the Aeromedical branch telling me that the letter from my "treating physician" regarding mandated followup affirming the stability of the condition for which I have a Special Issuance was inadequate. They want more information than he provided. I have 60 days to provide the FAA with an "appropriate" letter from him or they'll pull my Class 3 ("maybe"). It's noteworthy that that information was submitted a year ago along with my biennial Class 3 exam. My AME passed me at that time and issued the medical without concern. It took the FAA a year to second guess him and decide that they needed more information.

My brand new Second Class says that the FAA has 60 days to "reverse their decision" if they don't like the application -- but my Senior AME has insured that they do like it. And if the FAA comes after me, he'll handle any further problems, no charge.

Note: There's more to the story than appears in the quote. Please see two posts below.

Last edited:
As an AME and EAA medical advisor I ask for a copy of the 8500-8 application to review before any exam takes place.
This way without importing it through the confirmation number(which locks you in to completing the exam ) I can advise the applicant whether to proceed or choose basic med or go LSA(no medical).
An application that doesn't get imported by the AME gets purged after 60 days.
Remember once denied you cannot do basic med or LSA..I've seen denials because the applicant failed to provide what the FAA asked for in a specified time frame You can always ask for an extension in writing.
When in doubt ask for a consultation with your AME.

Regards,
Alan Mekler MD
Senior AME

My brand new Second Class says that the FAA has 60 days to "reverse their decision" if they don't like the application -- but my Senior AME has insured that they do like it. And if the FAA comes after me, he'll handle any further problems, no charge.

Don't bet on it!
I received a denial letter five months after receiving a First Class medical. I had discussed a medical issue with my AME prior to the physical. My AME was an FAA AME and said that there would not be an issue. My AME had to turn it over to an FAA Regional Office AME. My medical was finally reinstated by the regional office, without restriction, however the First Class had timed-out into a Second Class.

Back