What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sealant recommendations for windshield fairing

jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
When exiting my RV9A my knee with an upward motion accidentally hit the fairing that is bonded over the top of the windscreen. The fairing didn’t suffer any damage but the bond with the windscreen broke free over about a 10inch length. Now my question is what sealant or caulking material to use to seal the tiny gap or crack in the paint between the plexiglass and the fiberglass fairing.
I tried just painting over it but the crack bled through. My concern isn’t structural but rather to primarily to keep out moisture and secondarily aesthetics. I plan to repaint over the sealer/caulk.

Recommendations?

I just did this on my windscreen frames for my Hatz. Used proseal. Another option is automotive seam sealer.

Attachments

• 2EA698A7-0B0D-4002-89C8-04B0A284B11C.jpg
    2EA698A7-0B0D-4002-89C8-04B0A284B11C.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 122
When exiting my RV9A my knee with an upward motion accidentally hit the fairing that is bonded over the top of the windscreen. The fairing didn’t suffer any damage but the bond with the windscreen broke free over about a 10inch length. Now my question is what sealant or caulking material to use to seal the tiny gap or crack in the paint between the plexiglass and the fiberglass fairing.
I tried just painting over it but the crack bled through. My concern isn’t structural but rather to primarily to keep out moisture and secondarily aesthetics. I plan to repaint over the sealer/caulk.

Recommendations?

Pro-Seal is a go-to solution if you already have it. But since you're looking for a good seal and don't need the strength, a low cost, long lasting solution is DAP 230 in a color that matches. Excellent bond to aluminum and plastic at about $5 a tube and locally available at most hardware or big box stores. Otherwise, a high strength solution that you can get in small tubes at those same stores is 3M 5200. Designed for adhering just about any substrate to another in a marine environment. It does take a couple days to fully cure, but once done, has the strength (at 700 lbs/sq in) to hold a davit on a boat deck to tie your boat up (personal experience) and has almost no surface preparation required (other than having a clean surface).

Last edited:
Back